How to seal around the stove to insulation pass through?

Andehh

We have 150mm insulation in our warm roof, insulated flu passes through it, but the installer explained has to be a 50mm zone around the flu.

Is is simply the ''done thing'' to keep this 50mm an accepted cold spot going through the roof? Has anyone used vermiculate or rockwool around it?

I figured they are non-combustibles and at the 2m height above the fireplace the stove insulated flu will not be so hot as to damage them.

Welcome thoughts - thanks :)

20230310_110407[27171].jpg

When I bought my flue pipe, I bought an "insulated sleeve" made for the purpose.  It fits tight around the flue and because the manufacturer has declared it for for being in contact with the flue it must be non combustible so that is fine.  And the outside edge is >50mm from the flue so anything can touch that.

insulated_sleeve.thumb.jpg.712c703403558ff120567bfdb9175b2d.jpg

I have not been able to find this on sale lately but surely someone makes one still?

That's idea! I'm hoping I can get away with handpacking vermiculite sheets tight around it, with some metal stripes to hold it up and I'm place. 

I'm worried about air tightness as well, but having been ruthlessly fastidious over the rest of the house, this area may need to be a compromise. I'll just use fire proof sealant all around all the exterior connections and hope for the best 

2 hours ago, Andehh said:

the 2m height above the fireplace the stove insulated flu will not be so hot as to damage

It will be very hot indeed even up here....a lot of heat escapes from the fire and the insulated flue keeps it moving intead of escaping from  a bare metal flue into the room. Of course the flue, being insulated, is protecting the surroundings, but adding 50mm more protection is simply sensible. It also allows some movement on heating and cooling.

Thanks guys, seeing as everything has already been strapped into place, best I can get is rockwool around it, and simulate the effect. Not perfect, but better then nothing.

Ill ring rockwool to make sure, then stuff it up there! :D