Site Visitors: tolerate, welcome, avoid?

ToughButterCup

I don't understand what motivates people to act in such weird ways when they object - having read through a lot of planning apps and comments, it seems second only to death+probate in the ways people contort themselves over minor details.

Perhaps I'm way to relaxed, but life's too short to get wound up the way some people do - an example - watching the latest series of Clarkson's Farm over the weekend, and whether you like or dislike Jeremy.. the utter twaddle spouted throughout his planning process was just bonkers.

Our local Parish council aren't too bad, however one of them is an ex planning consultant who uses his experience to strengthen the "no" arguments - even worse for people that live in proximity to him and have had to abandon plans (and one person even moved away...) as he won't permit anything nearby. Conflict of interest or what.

Edited by MrMagic

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

that’s not true - local parish councils are now a proving ground for a lot of SPADs and county councillors who are looking to progress into mainstream politics. They have moved on a long way from Maureen and Dennis who want to complain about the state of the bus shelter … 

I'm really cheered to read that Peter.  Perhaps they - and the Government need to move on from where they are though.... Have a read of what Martin Goodhalls Planning Blog says about the matter (March 2013)

Especially the bit about Professional Standards among Councillors. He talks about the need to ensure Councillors are seen to be behaving honourably: 

There really need to be strict sanctions to enforce this discipline, and here we come across a problem created by the present government. There was just such a system in place until the coalition government came to power. However, they scrapped the established Standards Board regime, which had ensured there was a centrally prescribed model code of conduct and standards committees with the power to suspend a local authority member, plus a central standards board to ensure uniform compliance throughout the country with prescribed standards of conduct. The government may come to regret having removed this essential disciplinary machinery.

(Downloaded 13/02/2023 https://planninglawblog.blogspot.com/search?q=corrupt  )

I suspect that most of us would be happy with Councillors who could think straight and who were honest.

1 hour ago, MrMagic said:

I don't understand what motivates people to act in such weird ways when they object - having read through a lot of planning apps and comments, it seems second only to death+probate in the ways people contort themselves over minor details.

Perhaps I'm way to relaxed, but life's too short to get wound up the way some people do - an example - watching the latest series of Clarkson's Farm over the weekend, and whether you like or dislike Jeremy.. the utter twaddle spouted throughout his planning process was just bonkers.

Our local Parish council aren't too bad, however one of them is an ex planning consultant who uses his experience to strengthen the "no" arguments - even worse for people that live in proximity to him and have had to abandon plans (and one person even moved away...) as he won't permit anything nearby. Conflict of interest or what.

it is baffling.

I've came across no one who is happy to have any building at all next to them. So the planning process gives the appearance of them having a say when in reality they have none. They can moan about all sorts of nonsense none of which will make the slightest difference. The plan is made in closed rooms which areas that are going to be built on decided, farmers to be made multi millionaires for selling a couple of acres and not have to worry about paying a penny of inheritance tax etc

With the greenbelt being off-limits everything has to be rammed into what's left making villages and towns unpleasant.

With the amount of ££ involved an unfixable problem. 

2021 alone £315 billion was lent out in mortgages. No politician is going to mess with devaluing that by even 10% and expect to continue to have a career.

just to counter all the negativity we had an, overall, positive experience on this subject. obviously I put our planning woes on our blog but they, in the end, came around to the proposal and approved it. our parish council approved the plans but put a note that the flat roofs weren't in the local policies (or words to such effect). we attended the meeting ready to answer/counter questions/concerns/complaints but there weren't any. 

All our neighbours have been brilliant throughout the process. all positive and taking an interest (probably helped by the state of the existing bungalow and them looking forward to not having to look at that for much longer!) and any walkers/passers by that I've noticed looking through the heras while I've been working on the house and I've popped out to say hi have all been positive and say it's a great looking house etc.

so, as with most things on the internet, you mostly read the negatives but I thought I'd just give a positive spin and not everyone has awful neighbours or bypassers!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

it is baffling.

No it isn't.

I have known two people that would act like spoilt, attention seeking, children to get their way.

They were both genuinely mental.

24 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

2021 alone £315 billion was lent out in mortgages. No politician is going to mess with devaluing that by even 10% and expect to continue to have a career.

Shows a lack of understanding of economics.

Expanding the supply of something that is either genuinely scarce, or perceived as scares, expands the whole market.

Limiting supply, or giving the impression that the supply is limited, shrinks the market.

The British public have talked themselves into a lack of supply and high prices, neither is actually true.

£315bn is pretty small in reality, the UK spend, in 2021, nearly £10bn on (expletive deleted)ing pets.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/308266/consumer-spending-on-pets-and-related-products-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Unfortunately not. Most farmers rent the land from large estates, who make the money and' of course' are 'the system'.

Not strictly true ..! Whilst the estates (including Crown Estates) own a lot, they own the agricultural land for the rental income and in a lot of instances for the subsidy payments. It’s a long game though and anyone buying farmland on hope value for it being in the local plan is better off buying it and turning it to pony paddocks as they are a licence to print money..!

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Not strictly true .

Agreed, of course not 100%, but many of the landowners call themselves farmers but either rent out the land or contract out all the work.

If you watch 'this farming life' (recommended) on BBC I think most are tenants, and they are usually on leases of 10 to 25 years.  

I await being corrected.

12 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Section 39 of the Agricultural Holdings Act 1986.

Just make sure the claim is in quickly after the death.

Most have been moved off those where possible as in England & Wales (slightly different in Scotland) older AH Tenancies have rights of succession where the newer post 1994 (I think) Farm Business Tenancies do not so at death they are forefeited.