Anyone bought windows from Poland?

CalvinHobbes

20 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

On my never ending quest to lower costs and with some crazy window quotes that conform to the architects 0.80W/m2K standard, someone suggested I should look to Poland.  Since we are in NI I am hoping it should be deliverable. Has anyone any recommendations for Poland?

good luck getting a service call from Poland when inevitably something goes wrong.

must be crackers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Fakro are a respected  Polish company. No  reason to think other Polish companies are poor quality either.

When I enquired about Rationel windows, I was told the factory they are made is in Poland.

Be very careful with the agent you chose (companies house checks/contact previous jobs they claim to have done etc). Our first hand experience is that the Polish manufacturer/supplier will simply wash their hands of you, saying it's between us and the agent to sort out the mess. Red flags all over the place. 

• Like 1

Right, worried now about using a Polish Supplier. Our quotes for rationel came in at nearly 40k which is way too much. Waiting for a few others. I asked qs could I increase the u value and to 1.2 or 1.3 if really stuck, would it be OK since it means huge savings? He said yes but to get in touch with whoever did our saps and see what it would do. He didn't make out it would be a biggie. He thinks its ok if we use the trocal too if we have to. 

6 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

increase the u value and to 1.2 or 1.3 if really stuck

It is normal to trade insulation levels. Do you have areas where you can still increase insulation to balance a reduction in the windows. It is area dependent, so an attic area, for example, gives the opportunity.

6 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Right, worried now about using a Polish Supplier. Our quotes for rationel came in at nearly 40k which is way too much. Waiting for a few others. I asked qs could I increase the u value and to 1.2 or 1.3 if really stuck, would it be OK since it means huge savings? He said yes but to get in touch with whoever did our saps and see what it would do. He didn't make out it would be a biggie. He thinks its ok if we use the trocal too if we have to. 

UK alternative will be less than half what you have been quoted by rational.

R7 Flush Casement triple glazed (very nice window) whole frame u value of 0.84

• Like 1

Why was your SAP done to such a high level? Ours was done to be within the regs I then improved it from there. For example the windows were 1.2 for planning submission but as fitted the average will be 0.78. Improving the windows added 15% to the cost. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

On 14/02/2023 at 08:52, Kelvin said:

Why was your SAP done to such a high level? Ours was done to be within the regs I then improved it from there. For example the windows were 1.2 for planning submission but as fitted the average will be 0.78. Improving the windows added 15% to the cost. 

My father insisted. He has now passed. I think we will push the boat out and go for it. So Baskil is looking likely.