Pipe-in-pipe

oldkettle

While watching other people work on YouTube I saw something that makes a lot of sense to me - pipe-in-pipe flexible water feed which basically guarantees if an internal pipe starts leaking it will just drain into the external one and out. Ran a search here and found nothing - maybe used wrong terms. Is there any reason not to use it for anything running inside a wall? Or is it just not well known? 

Edited by oldkettle

8 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

why would a pipe start leaking?

No idea. Manufacturing defect, degradation with time due to temperature changes, chemicals in water? 

BTW, watched further and the guy points out it is also possible to replace the leaking pipe without getting behind the wall. I am sold TBH. I always look at how something is to be serviced once things inevitably go wrong. 

2 hours ago, oldkettle said:

Is there any reason not to use it for anything running inside a wall?

I used it for all my pipe runs from the manifold to the various appliances. You can just see the red ducting for some of the hot water feeds.

Q1010004.thumb.JPG.287e7e9b738691131b6f80a4438c3242.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, markc said:

It’s called ducting, certainly nothing new. 

Not sure. Ducting - usually - is just a sleeve which facilitates feeding a cable or a pipe through. This one also prevents leaks by draining them by design. 

Anyway, seems to be something they use in Sweden. 

I've use pipe in pipe, but not on anything domestic.  Marine diesels use pipe in pipe if the pipe, should it leak, would allow fuel or lubricant on the turbo charger or exhaust system.

Don't really see any reason to waste your money in a domestic situation for water.

I have run some 15mm Pex/PB inside 25mm galv electrical conduit. This was in the corner of a wall but that was more for mechanical protection against someone deciding it would be a good spot for a shelf bracket. It'd be a bit moot if someone decides to use a Bosch multi construction bit!

Sam_1593.jpg.b793572cb69d206bc6e6d5eb8aae1fa4.jpg