Timber Cladding Fixings

Barney12

5 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

Can you not get a secret fixing clip in stainless steel and take a bit it longer to do it?

I had looked at this originally when I was going to do the walls in larch, but now this is for soffits and it's T&G (tongue too small for hidden fixing - plus I wouldn't want the worry of it splitting over time) hence happy with a face fix. Plus I am up against it with time - scaffold costing extra right now and I want to get joiners well on with fixing this to get it closed for winter and as much done as possible to get scaffold down. 

Interestingly the timber decking and cladding association recommends using face fix screws for species like larch and pre-drilling holes - https://www.tdca.org.uk/timber-cladding/cladding-fixings/

If you do choose to nail with a gun, you can get the 34 degree full round head stainless nails by Beck fasteners here: https://www.nailers.co.uk/product/fastenings/nails/34-framing-nails/34-stainless-steel-framing-nails/ They work a treat.

Also your chippy should be able to get a tip for his gun - they're usually only a few quid!

Edited by SimonD

1 hour ago, SimonD said:

Interestingly the timber decking and cladding association recommends using face fix screws for species like larch and pre-drilling holes - https://www.tdca.org.uk/timber-cladding/cladding-fixings/

If you do choose to nail with a gun, you can get the 34 degree full round head stainless nails by Beck fasteners here: https://www.nailers.co.uk/product/fastenings/nails/34-framing-nails/34-stainless-steel-framing-nails/ They work a treat.

Also your chippy should be able to get a tip for his gun - they're usually only a few quid!

Thanks I'd been on there and the fact the say screw is also confusing but makes sense. Do e screw manufactures say you don't need to pre drill as it is a cutter type fixing but in larch  you may have to....seems not consistent in some cases. 

In an ideal world I think I'd pre drill and use screws to provide piece of mind but can imagine it taking ages and time is something we are short of just now. 

59 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If it’s a soffit then it’s not going to pick up much weather. 

I face fixed all my cedar with the second fix paslode, from the ground you cannot see any fixings. 

Remember to not butt them up tight to allow for a bit of expansion. 

9CA5F9EB-B39D-4645-A6B9-6398580B09A8.jpeg

Looks great @Russell griffiths. Wish I had the cedthebutnits was more than double the price. What fixings did you use? Normal d head or full size? 

8 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

@SuperJohnG no second fix gun, so 16 gauge stainless t head. 

You can probably use first fix gun with larch if your having the more rustic look. 

I'm hoping to get a nice finish is siberian larch unsorted so is pretty neat. Do those t head ones go into the wood below surface then?  

8 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

I'm hoping to get a nice finish is siberian larch unsorted so is pretty neat. Do those t head ones go into the wood below surface then?  

Yes nearly invisible. But I don’t know if it’s what I would use for yours, my timber is super dry and knot free, I’m hoping for zero movement so happy with a second fix nail, your timber is also heavy compared with mine. 

I would probably use a bigger fixing on yours. 

That wasn’t much help was it ??

On 30/11/2021 at 14:24, SuperJohnG said:

Thanks I'd been on there and the fact the say screw is also confusing but makes sense. Do e screw manufactures say you don't need to pre drill as it is a cutter type fixing but in larch  you may have to....seems not consistent in some cases. 

In an ideal world I think I'd pre drill and use screws to provide piece of mind but can imagine it taking ages and time is something we are short of just now. 

I think if you speak to 1000 chippies you'll get 1000 different ways to do it! Not always helpful. The full head stainless nails I linked to above with a first fix nail gun work a treat. It's always worth trying nails on some off cuts before final decision. If you do go for the stainless as per the link, make sure you phone them to order as that way you'll likely get a reasonable discount too!

• Like 1

On 01/12/2021 at 09:35, Russell griffiths said:

Yes nearly invisible. But I don’t know if it’s what I would use for yours, my timber is super dry and knot free, I’m hoping for zero movement so happy with a second fix nail, your timber is also heavy compared with mine. 

I would probably use a bigger fixing on yours. 

That wasn’t much help was it ??

@Russell griffiths I'm back on this. Joiner reckons the second fix t head stainless works fine and done a wee test today.  Do you get the second fix stainless in ring shank? That would make me happy I think. 

Image attached of normal type full head head finishing gun below for those who are looking in the future.

Paslode say they do a specific 2.8 x 50mm Neil for cladding. But not sure if it is normal d head type which will look gash. 

IMG-20211207-WA0000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2021 at 10:47, SuperJohnG said:

I've ended up going for the Paslode st/stl Brads for the second fix gun - they seems absolutely solid on the test piece, hence going to give that a try. 

Will report back once the soffit cladding is up!  

Now started fitting at the weekend. The paslode brads work perfect, great hold and ant see a thing. So far no pre drilling required at the ends. Can't see the fixings from 2m away. 

20211219_151930.jpg

20211219_152036.jpg

20211219_152455.jpg

• Like 1