Cement particle board as interior wall feature - why not?

AppleDown

Hi all,

First post on here - but will have many more as we move on from a 'quick' renovation of our current home into building a new one.

We're in the market for a feature wall in a high ceiling lounge/diner/kitchen area. We really want to add a concrete/cement style area and have looked at some of the wall panels you can get. There are a few that could work, but they're quite expensive. We were in our local builders merchant at the weekend and both stopped when we went past the cement board, and were thinking - why couldn't this work? 

Is there any reason why you wouldn't use just basic cement particle board to fulfil this need? As long as it doesn't have any standard maker marks or prints on it, it looks the deal. Can match it up with some fine colour matched grout. Just haven't seen any examples of using it online. Am I missing something?

17 minutes ago, AppleDown said:

We're in the market for a feature wall in a high ceiling lounge/diner/kitchen area. We really want to add a concrete/cement style area and have looked at some of the wall panels you can get. There are a few that could work, but they're quite expensive. We were in our local builders merchant at the weekend and both stopped when we went past the cement board, and were thinking - why couldn't this work? 

Is there any reason why you wouldn't use just basic cement particle board to fulfil this need? As long as it doesn't have any standard maker marks or prints on it, it looks the deal. Can match it up with some fine colour matched grout. Just haven't seen any examples of using it online. Am I missing something?

Welcome to BuildHub.

No reason it can't work. We had the same thought when we saw what the cement board we have in a few places looked like (before it was tiled).

You could buy a piece and experiment with different finishes. I'm sure you could make it look more interesting with a waxed or lacquered finish, or even ragging or coarsely thinly/randomly trowelling on some tinted plaster or cement.

Even some offcuts that we left outside developed an interesting patina after a few rain and drying cycles.

• Like 1

Ceramic tiles looking like concrete appear to be fashionable. Too realistic for my liking esp where there is 'damage'.

Repeat patterns bother me so check for that. 

But then so does any material that is deliberately allowed to look temporary or deteriorating.

Any flammable material would need treatment which would alter it.

Cement boards come in many finishes so there is rough to ultra smooth. You might need to visit different merchants to see. I assume you would glue it to avoid screws.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nod said:

As part of my business I supply and fit lime plasters 

Clay works is usually descend by the the designers as concrete finish 

Perhaps worth googling it 

Hi Nod - this look interesting. Any downside to using a clay plaster?

32 minutes ago, AppleDown said:

Hi Nod - this look interesting. Any downside to using a clay plaster?

It’s quite expensive But if your only doing one wall it’s not to bad 

It comes in every shade and colour 

We deal with two designers who incorporate it Into what seams like every job 

difficult to tell from the photo I’ll see if if can find some better ones 

2FACB538-9847-46CB-B464-7B26442B8E8E.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I’d want that lovely clay plaster everywhere for its texture and hippy benefits. I like to be a bit arty, but have found that unless you really know what you are doing, you have to check you don’t stray into comedy…

I have clayworks clay plaster on my ceiling and it looks AMAZING. Our plasterer had never installed it before, but he watched a couple of videos and was able to learn on the job. I also have bejmat clay tiles on a large feature wall, and that looks pretty special too. I will see if I can find some pictures. I’m away at the moment.

• Like 1