Suspended ceiling woes

Pocster

The plan was a suspended ceiling ; that office block look .

The perimeter trim is so flimsy it bends under its own weight and deforms when a screw goes in . This why these ceilings always look crap ?

At edges I pack it out as it can’t possibly bend . It still wobbles around .

Im doing this in the wrong order I.e walls not plastered ; because waiting on a plasterer will hold me up . Intention was he will skim up to the trim . Then I will caulk along the edge as it’s bound to crack .

Am I just being crap ? ( rhetorical question )

Thought the perimeter trim would be easy ! 😞

ED23DE65-E108-461C-8E5A-E119A3FB0234.jpeg

41C0D69A-BC3A-422B-A707-FCFF94C35254.jpeg

Edited by pocster

Just spoke to them.

Stupid (expletive deleted) ; the trim goes the other way round. I did actually check this and assumed the trim visible width was the same as the struct width. But apparently not. (expletive deleted)ing Friday!

i'm going to need to drop a ceiling in the basement to cover the MVHR pipes and other things. i look forward to seeing how yours turns out. i was thinking some kind of metal frame could be used? other option was joist hangers and timbers?

it is a long way off though but my mind turns to it occasionally.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

i'm going to need to drop a ceiling in the basement to cover the MVHR pipes and other things. i look forward to seeing how yours turns out. i was thinking some kind of metal frame could be used? other option was joist hangers and timbers?

it is a long way off though but my mind turns to it occasionally.

Watch and learn how not to do it!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Onoff said:

It could be an entire season of Abandoned Engineering!

"Who built this and why didn't they finish it?"

Or uss (expletive deleted) erprise . Sole mission to discover (expletive deleted) ups and new builds in the twat galaxy 

Edited by pocster

15 minutes ago, nod said:

All the weight is on the cables holding the cross struts Use tack blocks around the perimeter Chanel 

The Chanel should really be fitted to a black timber baton to form a shadow baton 

Wft a tack bloc ? . Googling showed me a semi nude female tied down over my bed . Presume you didn’t mean that ?

Struggling with this - thought it would be so easy . I just don’t get how the system works .

Wire hangers . Too loose and they aren’t taking the weight of the main struct . Too tight and it hovers . No easy way to adjust ( twist and hope ! ) . Is there something better than hanger wire for a concrete ceiling ; that you can adjust the height as you go ?

The main structs ( all structs ) that sit on the wall trim . They just sit there - not fixed .

This ‘mesh’ isn’t going to have rigidity. The only thing stopping it swaying and moving will be the tiles . 
Am I doing this wrong ? ( seen on some USA video they rivet to the wall trim ) . Any advice welcome 🙄

318D25AF-3336-4D12-AFFC-6ECEDEA45852.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

If it helps you feel better. I love the doors. That's going to be a lot of drilling into the concrete slab for the bits of wire.

Funnily enough it ain’t ( according to instructions ) . 2 hangs per main runner . Max there will be 4 main runners - so it’s no problem. The ‘wedge’ fixings into concrete work surprisingly well . I just don’t get how this is held square ( apart from the tiles ) . Still I’ll knock this shit up and we will find out when SWMBO accidentally knocks it and the entire ceiling comes down 👍

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

When i had a large office done, they dropped in the edge tiles as they went. Then filled in the middle.

Yeah I’ll probably do that as it should ‘square ‘ it . I’d just rather the frame was all square and fixed I.e rigid .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, pocster said:

The edge tiles made me swear - so will leave them until tomorrow.

My logic was whole tiles will square the frame …..

329A1C55-54A9-4663-80E6-A5858DC6E00D.jpeg

079D02B6-79FB-40C3-8EBE-6CF2D85B2F7E.jpeg

Is it an illusion, or is that left hand slither narrower at the end by the doors?  Is the room not square?