Solic 200 like Blackpool Lights - Help Needed

14 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

How would we know whether we were buying a good or bad capacitor for a replacement.

I don't know about this particular one, but for electrolytics I will only buy Panasonic 105 degree low ESR

27 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

How would we know whether we were buying a good or bad capacitor for a replacement.

Overspecify the voltage rating if you can and if there is room (don't change the capacitance value). Buy the highest spec which for mains is Y1. Buy from a big components supplier like Farnell who by and large don't sell components which give them returns. Worth buying a German brand e.g. Wima or Wuerth.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I’ve been following this thread because my unit has been working great for almost four years and now has suddenly start displaying the same issues as the OP.

I’ll try and attach a video of it throwing a wobbly when the sun comes out. Unfortunately I will have to reduce its size in order to post it. 

Strangely enough it does tend to be OK with absolute minimum power coming from the solar panels, but as soon as the sun comes out it cannot seem to cope. 

I distinctly remember getting my electrician to sign and date the ten year warranty card before I posted it off, so I’ve emailed Earthwise and will await their response.

Its excellent that one poster has worked out the issue and fixed it. Maybe Earthwise will send me a new unit and I can return this one for them to repair and sell as a factory refurbished. 

🤞

Best thing I ever did was to through my Solic 200 in to the bin and get Cool Energy diverter. It has timers so you can time boosts if you want, can control two immersions if that's what you have and also tells you what its doing and has done in the past.

I’ve had an offer to return it and they will fix it. 

Annoying that I have to pay my electrician to remove it and refit it when a much more customer focussed option would be to send out one of their refurbished units or factory second units and then I return the one I have for them to fix and resell. 

Plus they say it will take six weeks to fix. 

This problem is obviously one that has happened to quite a few people and I feel that they should be a bit more flexible to help their customers. 

But if push comes to shove I will get it removed and sent back. No way am I taking up the offer of a discounted new one. It’s supposed to save money not cost money. 

3 hours ago, JohnMo said:

Best thing I ever did was to through my Solic 200 in to the bin and get Cool Energy diverter. It has timers so you can time boosts if you want, can control two immersions if that's what you have and also tells you what its doing and has done in the past.

But that’s another £300+ which will need to be spent. Then I have a few years before I break even. I’m already there with the four year old Solic - which has been brilliant to be fair. 

On 21/01/2024 at 14:24, eugen said:

I measured the capacities of the 2 capacitors, of the 2 solic 200, the normal capacity( marked on the capacitor housing)

is 470 nf  (0,47 uf) , I got 198 nf for one and 220 nf for the second one (as I said, I have 2 solic 200)!

I don't think it's about saving money, I paid for a quality capacitor (epcos) under 1 euro .Also 310vac is ok

I think  the quality of the capacitors used is poor or they have an old production date

In any case, it is not very important, the important thing is that the problem can be solved cheaply. It is a capacitor that can be bought without problems from a local store, specialized in electronic components

How easy are these to fit? Plug and play or more complicated?

thanks

Looks like it has to go back. Annoying but it is return to base which I must accept. Just a shame I can’t bill them for the work involved to remove then replace it. 

Plus I bought it as a factory second and they still sell them on eBay. It would have been good PR to just replace it and me return the faulty one. 

They have been quick to respond though and have explained everything as they see it. 

Edited by Stoopo
Spelling.

50 minutes ago, Stoopo said:

My electrician mate is calling tomorrow. He says he can do this. 

please , ask your  electrician to use non polarized capacitor  0.47 micro farad( this value is compulsory) minimum 300vac voltage! if use bigger capacity can burn the board  , if is less you can have same problem as now! good luck

5 hours ago, eugen said:

please , ask your  electrician to use non polarized capacitor  0.47 micro farad( this value is compulsory) minimum 300vac voltage! if use bigger capacity can burn the board  , if is less you can have same problem as now! good luck

Thanks. I’ll tell him.

• 2 weeks later...

I signed up and came here to thank @eugen for his post on how to repair the Solic 200. My Solic 200 failed in exactly the same way as his and replacing capacitor C1 has fixed it and it is working properly again.

It was straight forward to solder in the replacement. I am in the UK and I ordered the new capacitor from Farnell. The original capacitor was rated at 275 volts, I ordered a Panasonic rated at 310 volts X2

I received my Solic 200 in April 2022 and it failed in August 2023. I returned the 10 year warranty card to Earthwise but my attempts to conract them since August by phone and email have not had any response.

Thanks again @eugen

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/03/2024 at 01:12, Klam said:

attempts to conract them since August by phone and email have not had any response.

Thanks again @eugen

I had to hound them and hound them to confirm my second warranty card had been received and registered..... commenting on their Facebook page may also work.