Installing Egger - Peel & Clean 22mm T&G Floorboards

richo106

Hi all

This time next week the builders want me start installing Egger peel & clean 22mm T&G floorboards, i have downloaded the egger installation and happy with how it needs to be fixed.

I have 75mm posi joists that are going to be installed at 400mm centres, I am pretty sure the layout created by the posi joist company would not have any thought for the floorboards to ensure they finish on a joint. I am guessing that I will have to install quite a few noggins

What is the best way to reduce the amount of noggins needed and also the best way to install a noggin on a posi joist?

How much glue you reckon is required per board/m2 etc just so i can make sure i order enough

Many Thanks

You will need nogs where the wall restraints are Normally three per restraint x 4 But that will show on your drawing and anywhere where a stud lands between two joists But these can be done from below if you haven’t settled on your layout and a bunch under your bath tub 

Presuming Posi You won’t need them around the perimeter 

If you recon a liter of glue per 4-5 sheets 

10 minutes ago, richo106 said:

There is no noggins shown on my drawing at all (see attached)

Am I right in thinking I need a noggin where the floorboard join?

Thanks regarding the glue

C5D2C51C-7EC6-46A4-BD2D-EEB2C2D1F357.jpeg

I’d check with the supplier 

But here’s where your restraints should be

Everything else can be done afterward 

045FD88E-4EA3-4D39-99EE-8D1F06646A0D.jpeg

9 hours ago, richo106 said:

installed at 400mm centres,

At 400 centres you don’t need to land on a joist with a short join - the boards either side will support it. 

If these are Pozijoists then they should have edge trim all the way round using  z clips - usually use 47x47 timber.

As @nod says though - should have restraint straps into your blockwork where the joists run parallel to the walls plus they need blocking at that point. 

Strongbacks should already be installed. 

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

At 400 centres you don’t need to land on a joist with a short join - the boards either side will support it. 

If these are Pozijoists then they should have edge trim all the way round using  z clips - usually use 47x47 timber.

As @nod says though - should have restraint straps into your blockwork where the joists run parallel to the walls plus they need blocking at that point. 

That's good regarding the boards not needing a noggin

I have emailed the posi joist company regarding the issues raised about the restraints and edge trim. I already have some z clips ready to support a couple of stud walls above

If i don't get an answer this morning ill give them a ring

Strongbacks will be installed shortly

Many Thanks

If you glue every board to each other and to the joists then it’s going nowhere - just a tip to wear a baseball cap when walking round under the floor when you’ve fitted it as D4 glue in your hair is not a nice thing to remove … 

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Regarding the edge trim, I have attached my layout and highlighted the areas that I will need edge trim for. 

Would you agree with this? Just so I can all z clips ordered

The company haven't got back to me yet but planning to do it

Posi edge trim.jpg

@richo106 one of the more stressful elements of my build was when i thought I had discovered my builder had used the wrong glue. He swore he had used D4, but it didn't look like all the photos I'd seen of installation where the glue drips out of the seams between boards. Turns out he had used D4, but not the expanding type. So make sure you get D4 expanding glue. The expansion fills any tiny gaps/cracks and gives a more solid result. Also worth screwing down with these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/floor-tite-pz-double-countersunk-floorboard-screws-4-2-x-55mm-200-pack/49231

24 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

My builder laid mine, and left about inch gap around the edge where there are block walls, not sure if this is std practice or not, but has left me wondering how to fill the gap...  Expanding foam just seems a bit naff, and a faff. 

Plaster and skirting takes up about 30-40mm.

56 minutes ago, crispy_wafer said:

My builder laid mine, and left about inch gap around the edge where there are block walls, not sure if this is std practice or not, but has left me wondering how to fill the gap...  Expanding foam just seems a bit naff, and a faff. 

It is 

There should be at the very minimum 12 mil 

But better with 25

So often on site Joiners are dragged back to cut a larger gap Prior to pre plaster inspection 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

@richo106 one of the more stressful elements of my build was when i thought I had discovered my builder had used the wrong glue. He swore he had used D4, but it didn't look like all the photos I'd seen of installation where the glue drips out of the seams between boards. Turns out he had used D4, but not the expanding type. So make sure you get D4 expanding glue. The expansion fills any tiny gaps/cracks and gives a more solid result. Also worth screwing down with these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/floor-tite-pz-double-countersunk-floorboard-screws-4-2-x-55mm-200-pack/49231

That’s for mentioning that, I didn’t realise there was a different type of D4 glue

Those screws look good! I was reading egger installation guide and they mentioned nails but would prefer screws 

52 minutes ago, nod said:

It is 

There should be at the very minimum 12 mil 

But better with 25

So often on site Joiners are dragged back to cut a larger gap Prior to pre plaster inspection 

Is that 25mm off any brick wall? I was reading it depends on length of run etc. Is 25mm a safe cover all?

When trimming up around the stairs I guess I make that flush?

19 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Is that 25mm off any brick wall? I was reading it depends on length of run etc. Is 25mm a safe cover all?

When trimming up around the stairs I guess I make that flush?

Yes Off the perimeter 

25 mil will easy cover 

35 minutes ago, nod said:

Yes Off the perimeter 

25 mil will easy cover 

Sorry to clarify, I have attached my first floor SE drawing and as you can see I have a lot of block walls that fly through the build. Leave 25mm off all these or can I go tighter on this. All block walls are planning to be dot/dabbed on the first floor 

3C4DFCC1-0260-415F-8009-F2C4C657D6E7.jpeg

5 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Sorry to clarify, I have attached my first floor SE drawing and as you can see I have a lot of block walls that fly through the build. Leave 25mm off all these or can I go tighter on this. All block walls are planning to be dot/dabbed on the first floor 

3C4DFCC1-0260-415F-8009-F2C4C657D6E7.jpeg

Yes off all 

If you only leave say 100 mil which is adequate They will soon fill with mortar snots I normally use an off cut of 25 mil baton 

Without the gaps sound will resonate around the house