Installing Egger - Peel & Clean 22mm T&G Floorboards

richo106

Me again

Was just getting all my stuff ready to fitting the rest of my joists including noggins and restraints etc

I have ordered the 1.5mm restraints so I can nail them over the top of the noggins. (Please see attached)

my concern is that the block work running parallel either isn’t at that height yet or builders have took the block work above the height so I cant fix the strap on the inside of the block work?

what is the best way around this?

BBFC5317-E606-4DAF-A0F3-40BBEB45417B.jpeg

Edited by richo106

24 minutes ago, richo106 said:

builders have took the block work above the height so I cant fix the strap on the inside of the block work?

Nope - if the outside skin isn’t up then you can stitch drill a row of holes and push it through from the block side. If the outer skin is up then you may need to drill a bigger hole to take the leg and the push through and rotate it to hook behind the blocks.

Those straps are stabilising your walls and tying the middle of the house together - you don’t want to be missing them out of frigging it with a few screws and plugs … 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Those straps are stabilising your walls and tying the middle of the house together - you don’t want to be missing them out of frigging it with a few screws and plugs … 

Indeed, in my build this aspect was part of the SE’s design.

19 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Nope - if the outside skin isn’t up then you can stitch drill a row of holes and push it through from the block side. If the outer skin is up then you may need to drill a bigger hole to take the leg and the push through and rotate it to hook behind the blocks.

Sounds good to me

Where the block work isn't there can I just put the strap in the correct position so the builders can incorporate it and build round it?

Edited by richo106

4 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Sounds good to me

Where the block work isn't there can I just put the strap in the correct position so the builders can incorporate it and build round it?

yep although they need to be tight into the block so if they are hanging I tend to leave them an inch or two long into the cavity and screw them to the nogs or the strong back, and when the blocks are up take the screws out and pull them tight into the blocks and nail into place.

Don’t forget to go back and seal round them properly..!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

yep although they need to be tight into the block so if they are hanging I tend to leave them an inch or two long into the cavity and screw them to the nogs or the strong back, and when the blocks are up take the screws out and pull them tight into the blocks and nail into place.

Don’t forget to go back and seal round them properly..!

Thank you! That makes perfect sense

3 hours ago, richo106 said:

Not a brand I recognise, but yes that is the correct glue, in that it is an expanding one that is rated D4.

3 hours ago, richo106 said:

why not the Egger one which I think you need to use to get the warranty ?? Merchant normally supplies with the boards for us. 

Hi all again

I have installed all my joists this weekend, just got plenty of noggins, restraints and strongbacks to add tomorrow.

I will be installing the floorboards next weekend just have a couple of questions if anyone can offer some advice.

I have attached a picture of my joists and highlighted in red the block walls and then the stud walls that will be on the floor boards in light blue.

where the joists are going to same way through a door way do I just do it like laminate flooring and carry it through? 

Where the joists changed direction through door ways, how and where would I join that?

same question really about where and how to join boards on change in direction on joists?

Any advice and information greatly appreciated 

FEF48DD9-2228-4BEA-BA75-2151ED9ED00F.jpeg

Edited by richo106

14 minutes ago, richo106 said:

Where the joists changed direction through door ways, how and where would I join that?

Can only see one example of that so don’t panic too much - you can either fit it and cut down the middle of the joist with a circ saw set at 23mm, or easier is to glue and screw a 3x2 to the side of the joist and then land the joins on that. Don’t try and get clever and do T&G ends into sides as it just doesn’t work !!

Don’t forget to cut a knocking block off a board offcut - that’s the profile of the edge so you don’t smash the tongue or the groove of a board knocking it into place. 

Are you screwing or nailing the boards as well as glue ..?

Hi All

I am planning to lay my floorboards with the egger adhesive tomorrow, the temperature range for my area is -1 to 3 degrees throughout the day

I have tried to find somewhere online if it says anything about installing floorboards in cold temperatures but is doesn't

The only thing it mentions is storage temperature between 5 - 25 degrees which is fine, my plan is to keep the glue warm and just bring out a bottle at time to use

Is this ok? I am planning to towel dry each joist before fixing to it any way

Any advice/information greatly appreciated

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

I would wait as anything below 5C might slow down curing time. Are you airtight and water tight yet? If so, just warm up the place with an electric fan heater.

Nope, only built up to just above first floor height. The builders want to me install the floorboards (Egger - Peal & Clean) ASAP so they can work of it to make it easier to work on the first floor