Planning a TV Mount

MortarThePoint

The problem with that is you can’t have the fire burning and TV down. If you don’t use the fire much then it’ll be fine I guess. However, the big black square dominates an already busy wall especially so high up. 

My wife is in charge of interior layouts etc and that's not decided (I know we should be more progressed there, I may have forgotten what she has already conceived)

Here is a layout I have thrown together with two 2-seaters and a 3-seater targeting the closest I think a sofa may get to the fireplace. I doubt we would have that layout, but it is helpful to understand options. It has a 1m passage behind the 3-seater and the front of the 3-seater is 2.15m (7ft) from the fireplace. Your head would be about 2.7m (9ft) I guess.

image.png.82d0cee78c54e65aadcf404ad93ba472.png

9 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

that mount is very clever. But I still think it looks pretty bad to pace a tv there. Even when it's off, it detracts from the natural beauty of a fireplace. A fireplace should not have a large black rectangle above it. A mirror yes, a nice painting also, but not a tv.

When the TV is not in use, it occupies a far too prominent location in the room. Unless the room is ONLY going to be used for tv watching, the tv should be balanced with other elements of the room. But if it really is going to be a cinema room, then you don't need a fireplace there.

I'm inclined to agree and wasn't originally planning to have a TV in this room at all. It feels brave to not make provision for a change of mind though and I am now split thinking perhaps we should have one.

35 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

I'm inclined to agree and wasn't originally planning to have a TV in this room at all. It feels brave to not make provision for a change of mind though and I am now split thinking perhaps we should have one.

If you aren't sure, wire in a couple of tv points, ethernet points and plenty of power sockets in places you might want a tv. You can always cover the one over your fireplace with a painting. But in the past wehn I haven't been sure about something that relates to layout, I've found posting a couple of layouts here on the forum and getting people's different inputs has been really helpful. 

• Thanks 1

From bitter experience....

I fitted a very robust and highly articulated tv mount and all was good until..

The aerial lead was tugged while I was  swivelling the tv.

It could have pulled out of the tv terminal or out of the wall, but no, it snapped the tv terminal off.  It is a complex box and an expensive repair.

The exceptionally helpful tv supplier decided that it had perhaps been broken on delivery and replaced it.

Moral, the tv aerial cable has to be supported and yet fully extendable in all possible directions. Play around with it a lot before fixing.

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

From bitter experience....

I fitted a very robust and highly articulated tv mount and all was good until..

The aerial lead was tugged while I was  swivelling the tv.

It could have pulled out of the tv terminal or out of the wall, but no, it snapped the tv terminal off.  It is a complex box and an expensive repair.

The exceptionally helpful tv supplier decided that it had perhaps been broken on delivery and replaced it.

Moral, the tv aerial cable has to be supported and yet fully extendable in all possible directions. Play around with it a lot before fixing.

Ouch, glad the supplier helped out. I don't think we'll have an aerial as we don't watch anything live anymore and although we may watch some sports, that could be done using broadband.

An articulating mount does look like it could end in disaster one way or another.

11 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

image.png.82d0cee78c54e65aadcf404ad93ba472.png

Can I ask, is the glass structure to the left of this drawing a window, or openable doors? Because if it is a window, I’m struggling to see why you couldn’t place a long sofa 1m or so in front of it, and place the tv on the wall at the bottom of the drawing (ie opposite the fireplace)? That still leaves room for the sofa you already have drawn to the right of the drawing and an arm chair somewhere in between the big window sofa and the fireplace. That arm chair can be angled towards the fireplace or towards the tv as and when needed.

2 hours ago, MortarThePoint said:

don't think we'll have an aerial 

It is there if the internet plays up, and it doesn't buffer.

Same logic will apply to hdmi or usb cables.

Esp if you get an articulating one make sure it has adjusters. Really annoying when the tv isn't level.

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Can I ask, is the glass structure to the left of this drawing a window, or openable doors? Because if it is a window, I’m struggling to see why you couldn’t place a long sofa 1m or so in front of it, and place the tv on the wall at the bottom of the drawing (ie opposite the fireplace)? That still leaves room for the sofa you already have drawn to the right of the drawing and an arm chair somewhere in between the big window sofa and the fireplace. That arm chair can be angled towards the fireplace or towards the tv as and when needed.

It's a bay window with a seat around its inside. Is the layout below what you have in mind? I wasn't sure which orientation you were suggesting for the sofa nearest the bay window. The TV could be on a swivel-able mount to allow it to turn towards the sofa.

image.png.e3243cf02f87b2c21c6aca5c0c1dc14a.png

More or less, yes this is what i had in mind. There are endless series of optimisations you can make to this layout by tweaking the sizes, shapes and styles of the sofas and then moving them around slightly, but I think placing the tv on the wall opposite, either within a media unit or on a media unit, is a very good start. For example the sofa by the bay window could be a chaise long style that is open on both sides, so as not to close off the window seat, e.g. like this:

https://www.darlingsofchelsea.co.uk/helston-3-seater-chaise-sofa-pview?gclid=CjwKCAiAqt-dBhBcEiwATw-ggEOpQUS7eMGUbE93fHZt7EjmVPvsKl0p7hmFYeMIbTnr1uTljAbTbBoCWxcQAvD_BwE

Or

https://slf24.co.uk/covex-daybed-right-arm.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAqt-dBhBcEiwATw-ggICikkXWUHkKk56Dp0C4JDMZmGS-sMMDiBu0a_v6LgQpGCkRTnCQ1hoChVoQAvD_BwE#141=257

Many TVs actually come on a swivable stand. My Sony Bravia 55" did, for example, allowing about 40 degrees in each direction.

Edited by Adsibob
  • Thanks 1