Deck edging against soil

Our decking runs the width of the house circa 8m and extends out 3m, as we have dug the house slightly into a hill, we are looking to use the spoil to reprofile the ground adjacent to the decking. This will raise it circa 40cm by the decking, giving a continuous level surface from the internal finished floor, across the patio door threshold, decking and then grass. (Many sleepless nights getting those levels spot on so far!)

This will mean the lawn is adjacent to the sides of the decking, will this be ok? Joiners have suggested fixing some dpc membrane vertically between the two, I'm wondering about some acro drain (not very attractive).

Any better solutions welcomed!

IMG_0989.JPG

Edited by Jimbouk
Photo added
  • Like 1

I would create a transition with stone/gravel. 4-6" would be enough which means you could go for something expensive.

If you take the grass to the level of the decking it will only be a matter of time before you damage the decking with the strimmer or mower. 

Edited by Barney12
Typo

Practically, I would be thinking about a B-list movie: Vermin in the Void (and how to get them out again if the worst happens).

I think I would look at pavers on edge to cover the gap ... they could be decorative, and perhaps a path of the same pavers round it.

If it were me the paver path or edging would be laid loose on a French drain or gravel filled trench, where I could stick services running round the house or garden in future if needed, or dig out in a restorable fashion for future work. If I had some left I might even stick a duct and drawstring in it, rather than skip it. Path for future watering system or lecky?

Or the path could be laid as an edging at or just below turf level. Could also be done with a narrower path.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, we have now poured a concrete footing all the way around. Will build a block wall on this and the cap with narrow pavers, flush with decking and lawn.

This should avoid the damp issue and add a bit more structural integrity to the deck, it will have the blocks just under the leading edge. More time and expense, but hopefully worth it in the long run.