Can this be wired into a 13a plug?

I have inherited an induction job that I might stick into the utility room (mainly for making jam etc). The label on the bottom

suggests it can be wired into a standard 230v circuit. Is there any reason I can’t wire it onto a plug and simply plug it in to a socket? Thought it’d be wise to check here first!! 

thanks! 

6A1E4AC4-B2F5-4821-9D13-76988829B30B.jpeg

If you google the code you gave above you might (after a couple of jumps) find the same number as me for that product: that is 7.35 kW.

Max for a UK plug is about 3kW, and actually 3kW often doesn't work too well if either the plug or socket isn't high very quality - you can get arcing and heat.

In principle you could do it and expect the 13A fuse in the plug to blow if you used more than one ring/zone.

But I wouldn't.

I'm sure a qualified electrician will be along in a jiffy, but the 'right way' of doing it would be a dedicated circuit to the consumer unit on say 20A or 32A wiring / breaker and out to a proper cooker-rated switched spur with the hob directly wired in.

Or just buy yourself a single/double zone hob less than 3kW.

Edited by Alan Ambrose
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Thanks @Alan Ambrosethats a good search! Def not a plug then! 

There is an already a 45a cooker circuit there with a switched fused spur and an existing double oven wired into it. Does anyone think I can add this hob to that circuit? I guess 45a is enough for the oven but not the hob as well?!?

Ovens take surprisingly little so I would go with that.

Click make this handy double appliance cooker connection unit, swap the existing one for this to connect both the oven and the hob.   https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/AA45DCOP.html