Barn style design

What you need with your application is a design statement which is a portfolio of images of local buildings,  shapes pictures of the materials etc that you wish to use and your rationale for your design.  Basically evidence why your design fits in.

11 hours ago, Bozza said:

What you need with your application is a design statement which is a portfolio of images of local buildings,  shapes pictures of the materials etc that you wish to use and your rationale for your design.  Basically evidence why your design fits in.

I thought about taking some more photos of similar houses locally is it ok/legal for me to submit photos of other peoples houses?

Bit late to this discussion ... we had similar planning requirement for a barn style house. The architects aim was to ‘echo’ the local vernacular but with a contemporary style so it sits well in the surroundings but doesn’t try to look old, which is often unsuccessful. Also, a fairly simple form which is not expensive to build. This particular style is unlikely to fit where you are but I would be challenging your architect to come up with something more imaginative.

55312F58-767E-4B7B-89FD-AE5745141BFF.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

Ive had a look, never heard of this  company has anyone else used them? There designs look similar to heb homes are they cheap/affordable though would be the key question?

Not sure about costs. Just inspiration for possible layouts. 

36 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

I thought about taking some more photos of similar houses locally is it ok/legal for me to submit photos of other peoples houses?

Yes you can take pictures of most things from the public highway. Just make sure there are no people about not because you can’t take their picture it just saves any hassles if they see you. Alternatively go knock on their door and tell them you love their house and are planning your own self-build and ask if you can take some pictures of it. 

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

Bottom one will be a dearer roof top one would look bad enough on an estate.

You seem committed to this style so I suggest you get actual idea of cost and take it from there. 

You dont like the top one? The bottom ones for sale for 850k so someone must like it

49 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

You dont like the top one? The bottom ones for sale for 850k so someone must like it

I like the one that looks like a farmhouse but not the white one that’s on an estate. You’re self-building rurally so don’t build an estate house. 

7 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Yes you can take pictures of most things from the public highway. Just make sure there are no people about not because you can’t take their picture it just saves any hassles if they see you. Alternatively go knock on their door and tell them you love their house and are planning your own self-build and ask if you can take some pictures of it. 

+1 or use screenshots from google streetview which is publicly accessible images.  I just took screenshots for mine Fri thu gs I found in interent.

42 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I like the one that looks like a farmhouse but not the white one that’s on an estate. You’re self-building rurally so don’t build an estate house. 

ok so in that case sticking with a sandstone cladding will help? did you see the one etc posted there i like the window panes i think theyd look more rural

At the risk of repeating myself, you’re opening post said the planners want a barn style which none of these are. You’ve had loads of suggestions on barn styles any of which the planners would likely accept if that’s what they want. You’ve been advised that you can’t afford stone cladding on your budget. What you can do is mix cladding types with some stone to link it to the vernacular and the rest a cheaper alternative. 

Not sure what else I or anyone else add so good luck.