Lighting condition

nod

We have a similar condition, building in an AONB.

We discharged it by submitting details of the light fittings to be used, and yes, all pointed downwards. I think they also look for nothing too dazzling.

We also had a condition to have them on a sensor (but interesting there is no comment on how long the timer can be)

• Thanks 1

What protected species do you have?

Bats...

https://www.bats.org.uk/our-work/buildings-planning-and-development/lighting

They have a guide here...

https://cdn.bats.org.uk/uploads/pdf/Resources/EUROBATSguidelines8_lightpollution.pdf?v=1542109376

https://theilp.org.uk/publication/guidance-note-9-domestic-exterior-lighting-getting-it-right/

which makes the design process look horrendous but if you skip over that the message is to fit lights as low as possible so you only illuminate the areas really necessary and use warm white LED Ideally <2700k. 

Edited by Temp

I have this condition...

a) At no time shall any external lighting except in relation to safe use of the approved or existing buildings be installed or operated in association with the approved development and no permanently illuminated external lighting shall be operated at any time, without the written approval of this local planning authority.
b) No external lighting should illuminate any biodiversity enhancement, boundary feature, highway corridors or adjacent habitats.
All lighting installed shall demonstrate compliance with latest best practice guidance relating to lighting and protected species-wildlife available from the Institution of Advanced Lighting.

Haven't thought far enough ahead on lighting (other than I actually wanted lots of outdoor lighting) - guess I just need a good reason for it to be there for "safety" reasons so I can walk around my house/garden at night.

14 hours ago, Trw144 said:

Haven't thought far enough ahead on lighting (other than I actually wanted lots of outdoor lighting) - guess I just need a good reason for it to be there for "safety" reasons so I can walk around my house/garden at night.

Having a few local PIR's will allow the lights to come on as you walk towards, and stay illuminated for x mins after you've walked onwards / away. Simples. I do this within my normal lighting designs, and it's relatively cheap and simple to achieve with a bit of thought / planning. ;) 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My recently granted permission has this more onerous condition imposed:
image.thumb.png.88d7755faeb9b6f559e1cef61ecbacc9.png

The requirement for a contour plan is a bit of a drag, but I cobbled together something using an excellent free piece of software called Dialux (www.dialux.com). I only generated the contours for the 4 external lights proposed and mitigated the light spill from internal lights by stating I will have curtains and blinds on all windows.
image.png.0f2526b27414423993baba6cf24e4db2.png
I'll post back when I know if the LPA accept my DIY approach.

image.png

Suggest you use the phrase 'consistent with safe access' liberally. Just noticed this text from someone's lighting statement fyi:

"XXXX have completed lighting calculation to provide adequate emergency escape lighting from the building to comply with BS 5266. Wall lights mounted on the external walls of the building and above exit doors will provide emergency illumination along the escape routes. Their drawing below incorporates lighting level (Lux) isolines along with design standards and luminaire technical performance data. Two post top LED lanterns are proposed to provide adequate lighting for the car park, the exact position of these lights will be determined after trial holes are dug to confirm existing tree root positions but they have been shown indicatively on the plan below. All chosen luminaires will have a ULR (Upward lighting ratio) of 0% and will be ‘dark sky compliant’."

A bunch of buzzwords there...

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

All chosen luminaires will have a ULR (Upward lighting ratio) of 0% and will be ‘dark sky compliant’.

I've put that in my submission. Sounds more pro than 'downlighters'