Weird Door Frame

JosieC

Hello, can anyone tell me what has happened to this door frame and what needs to be done to fix it? Builder is telling us it's fine, but it's a piece of skirting board that has been attached above the door frame. Thank you. 

PHOTO-2022-12-17-17-36-41.thumb.jpg.d13eb3ab0c8dd9504c0e2dae55e673ed.jpgPHOTO-2022-12-17-17-36-42.thumb.jpg.93fbf0117db7fc8168b549dc49b4b7bb.jpg672541506_PHOTO-2022-12-17-17-36-412.thumb.jpg.95624458a7a0fe9afae3d1d4afbbb4cd.jpg

On one side the structural opening is much higher than the door lining.  Ideally I like the door lining to be the width of the wall reveal.  I guess this was the knock through for an extension?  The skirting architrave looks, as I believe they may say in Southend, pony.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Door apperture was made too high or a shorter door was chosen.

Personally I would have boxed in with plasterboard down to the door frame height, which is what they appear to have done the other side.

Thank you for this. This confirms what I thought had gone wrong, but I needed an expert eye!

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

On one side the structural opening is much higher than the door lining.  Ideally I like the door lining to be the width of the wall reveal.  I guess this was the knock through for an extension?  The skirting architrave looks, as I believe they may say in Southend, pony.

Thank you, if only it was an extension - this is a new build!!! Builder keeps telling us the quality/workmanship is fine. We know it isn't, but we're not builders, so appreciate a second opinion! We are now thinking we may need to get a snagging inspector in to try and get these issues resolved. 

• Sad 1

yeh structural hole is too big, the way i would have done it is make the door jamb the depth of the wall then had facings on both sides, this then gives you something that the skirtings can meet into, you now have a massively uneven reveal on one side, this screams to me of someone that is in way above their ability to plan things, in the first photo you can see that the door is too close to the wall not allowing a facing down that side, this meens your skirting on that wall will be a horrible detail, there is absolutely no excuse to make so many mistakes on a new build, if it was a refurbishment there would be compramises but even then you would at least have got the head height correct

13 hours ago, Hobbiniho said:

yeh structural hole is too big, the way i would have done it is make the door jamb the depth of the wall then had facings on both sides, this then gives you something that the skirtings can meet into, you now have a massively uneven reveal on one side, this screams to me of someone that is in way above their ability to plan things, in the first photo you can see that the door is too close to the wall not allowing a facing down that side, this meens your skirting on that wall will be a horrible detail, there is absolutely no excuse to make so many mistakes on a new build, if it was a refurbishment there would be compramises but even then you would at least have got the head height correct

Thank you, it's good to get confirmation that this door opening is all wrong!

Agree. Lintels set too high.

Either fill in on both sides with timber studwork and plasterboard or get a higher door to suit.

I also see that you won’t get a full width architrave on one side of the door. My advice would be to make the architraves to the perimeter of this door the same - use the smaller dimension as the width.

D8D8633F-3067-411A-BD2C-2E53CAEBBCDB.png

Edited by ETC

• 1 month later...
On 18/12/2022 at 21:37, ETC said:

AAA1D09F-F1F5-4758-9472-13307E58D1D9.png

Thank you for taking the time to provide these sketches, they are really helpful. I haven't been on the forum for a few weeks (been dealing with some leaky windows on the build!!), so I have only just seen your reply. 

On 17/12/2022 at 18:21, JosieC said:

We are now thinking we may need to get a snagging inspector in to try and get these issues resolved. 

No, just tell them it’s wrong, you don’t need to pay someone else to tell them!.  I agree with all comments above about rectifying it.