Graphite coated EPS bead supplier

Radian

I always smell a rat when something doesn't come up in a google search - I want it, I've seen other people say they want it, so why isn't it on general sale?

We recently had our cavity walls injected with graphite coated (fire retarded) EPS beads and the big old box-van showed up with around 12m3 of beads in a built-in sack. The van is mostly just a big sack of beads:

image.jpeg.2865aeac283e56b104665f2a6ed720b9.jpeg

So I'm thinking that these would be ideal for pouring in around several boxed-in stacks that I've got in the house. But can I find a supplier for them who won't only show up in a van and pump them in? Can I heck. Anyone know a way to get hold of them?

5 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Sorry, yes, I should have elaborated: a supplier with a retail facility. I mean, it's easy to find furnishing grade EPS beads all over ebay and Amazon but claims of fire ratings are highly dubious for a plain white poly bead. Funny really because graphite EXP sheets are readily available from those places as well as insulation stores.

On their website it says "We also work closely with a selection of builder’s merchants and retail suppliers." but I'm still waiting for a callback. I don't hold up much hope as without retail sales it usually means f-off unless you're in the trade.

34 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Beads I one thing / you need that pot in the bottom corner too - that’s the glue system that stops the beads becoming a torrent when you drill though the wall

I don't want them to put in a wall. As I said above, I've got three boxed-in stacks that I can access from above and I just want to pour in beads to get the insulation all the way down to the ground where I know there is none.

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes - so what happens when someone cuts or drills into the ground floor stack boxing :.??

Exactly 

I recently routed a pipe in the 600 void at my brother in-laws and couldn’t move for the stud 

22 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yes - so what happens when someone cuts or drills into the ground floor stack boxing :.??

I've lived here for 25 years and never once so much as put a screw into any of these boxes. However, in the extremely unlikely event of me wanting to gain access, I'd get out the garden vac and suck 'em out ready to re-fill. If it's someone else's house, I'd consider it an excellent posthumous practical joke.

Do you have any other suggestions for how to retrospectively insulate the voids around these stacks?

• Haha 1

What an odd thing. Plenty of retail sellers for the boards; none for the beads.

I did find a seller on alibaba who will send *unexpanded* graphite EPS beads a ton at a time (most have a minimum order of 10 or 17 tons).  $1,530.00/ton. The process for getting them to expand seems to simply be "apply heat"... popcorn maker, perhaps?

2 hours ago, Iceverge said:

Why not call back the guys who did the walls and get them to pump the stacks?

It wouldn't be cost effective to get them out here and set up - just to blow a cubic meter of beads. On the other hand if I could just source the beads, it'd be a doddle to do myself.

2 hours ago, Nick Thomas said:

What an odd thing. Plenty of retail sellers for the boards; none for the beads.

That's right. The differentiation in availability between loose beads and solid sheet seems very odd to me. I suppose it could be because these days it's routinely injected with a PVA bonding fluid as @PeterW points out, which is certainly desirable but not essential for DIY. My rental property has un-bonded beads put in nearly 40 years ago and gets along just fine.

1 hour ago, gravelrash said:

why not use perlite or vermiculite which is easily sourced

R-Value of vermiculite doesn't look as good as polystyrene but perlite looks more promising:

• vermiculite 0.366
  • polystyrene 0.4
  • Perlite 0.475

(comparative figures for 1" thickness)

15 minutes ago, Radian said:

You're about 8oC warmer than us here along the South coast.

I am current at 0.2°C, Swanage is 0.6°C.

Something with Bacon.

Now you have made me really hungry.

I'd be looking at something hotter

Dipping spring rolls and bhajis into chilli sauce ATM.

Edited by SteamyTea

8 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I am current at 0.2°C, Swanage is 0.6°C.

Been around -3oC this evening but just noticed it's rinsing quite fast. Down on the tip of Cornwall it looked, for example, like +5oC in Penzance at the time.

8 minutes ago, Radian said:

Been around -3oC this evening but just noticed it's rinsing quite fast. Down on the tip of Cornwall it looked, for example, like +5oC in Penzance at the time.

Was -1°When I drove home, but it seemed warmer than when I went to work.  No frost on my car, but was on some.

Don't really care as there is no wind or rain, so may be a nice sunny day tomorrow.

image.png.ce6dace2809fc5bf699d92cf9cf667a2.png

Edited by SteamyTea

9 hours ago, Iceverge said:

How about shredding graphite EPS sheets yourself if it's only 1m3. 

Hadn't thought of that! Messy though, and could be harder than you'd imagine. Does it even retain it's fire protection if broken up I wonder?

You could conduct a small controlled test. Or buy some Borax and recoat it in it. 

There's an American on youtube (there always is!) who has done masses of construction with aircrete and recycled EPS he collects from furniture stores

Made an EPS shredder from an upturned Flymo and a barrel. He uses a leaf vacuum to blow the beads loose into various voids. 

• Thanks 1