Time for a joiner to fit door liner / door / architrave

Moonshine

I am getting quotes together for second fix internal doors.

I have 11 doors to hang and want to get a steer on reasonable time a joiner would take to fit solid oak door liners, a oak laminate door and 90mm solid oak architrave either side.

Any ideas? my gut says 2 hours per door

Edited by Moonshine

3 minutes ago, nod said:

If you said four per day and linings you shouldn’t be far off 

Im assuming TF

That would be going some.  My joiners took best part of a day for 2 men to hang 9 Oak doors into door liners I had already fitted. Not including architrave.

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That would be going some.

If only I could find my little black book. So from memory... think on a big job with lightweight and repetitive doors, and not hardwood architraves,  4 is probably right. Joiner + 1.

For heavy doors with fancy ironmongery that isn't always the same. 3, or even 2.

Me doing it. 2 days each.

4 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

with a router and jig to de-skill the job, hanging 10 doors in a day is no problem.

Exactly 

Long gong are the days of chipping away with a chisel 

I even have a jig for the latch 

An hour for the lining an hour for the door should be a breeze for someone who does it as there day job 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nod said:

An hour for the lining an hour for the door should be a breeze for someone who does it as there day job 

I'll put that in my black book if I find it. 

The trouble is (SE anyway) how many useful hours there are). Arrive 8.10, tea in the van.  9.00 breakfast. 1.00 lunch. 3.00 tea. 4.00 home ('before the traffic')

28 minutes ago, nod said:

Exactly 

Long gong are the days of chipping away with a chisel 

I even have a jig for the latch 

That will be why my joiners took so long, they did it the old way with a chisel.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

That will be why my joiners took so long, they did it the old way with a chisel.

Proper joinery 

I’ve a mate who have a joinery workshop and he does all his doors by hand I’m not not neat enough to do hardwood without a jig 

Cheating I know 😁

3 hours ago, saveasteading said:

I'll put that in my black book if I find it. 

The trouble is (SE anyway) how many useful hours there are). Arrive 8.10, tea in the van.  9.00 breakfast. 1.00 lunch. 3.00 tea. 4.00 home ('before the traffic')

I leave home at 6am every morning 

Lunch is ten minutes on the move 

Come on Dave back me up on this one Can’t imagine you having many breaks 

I once doubled back to the site 10 minutes after leaving at 3.00 with a suspicion in my mind.

There I met the cladding gang packed and leaving.

The reason...it had been a good day and they had already hit their target m2 for the day.

South East work ethic.

And we had a gang of Polish workers who were a pleasure to employ. But one told me that the canteen talk was about how you don't have to work that hard, and you are spoiling it for everybody.

8 minutes ago, nod said:

I leave home at 6am every morning 

Lunch is ten minutes on the move 

Come on Dave back me up on this one Can’t imagine you having many breaks 

No, I am know as a "grazer"  I take a packed lunch and a flask, and I will take a bite of my sandwiches every now and then as I keep on working.  I would rather get the job finished sooner and finish earlier. I can't see the point in going out and sitting in your van for even half an hour let alone a whole hour as some do.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

De-skill, sounds interesting, where can one of these jugs be sourced from? Does it do hinges on door liner and door?

Trend jig is pretty good, a few others available too. Not that hard to make yourself for hinges and yes they work on door and frame

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

Next question :)

MDF window boards, how long do you recon to fit one of these, 15 to do? Cut the back, route the horn, and cut out horns, fit and level.

45 mins each?

Looking at this the way you are and putting these tight times on things , I think you are in for a world of hurt and disappointment. 

Do you think there’s a big gang of chippies out there just waiting for you to call them and offer them 45mins to cut and fit your window boards. 

Unless you are very lucky I think they will come in and tell you exactly what it’s going to cost. 

Putting a time and cost on each item you will get a site chippy who wants to run in and smash it out as fast as he can, which won’t achieve the finish you want. 

Window boards will depend greatly on the finish that they are going onto, flat and level timberframe with the cavity all closed then lovely. 

Unlevel block work, or wonky icf, then what method do you want for fixing down or levelling. 

If you are tight on the time they will pack them up on old bits of crap they find laying about. 

If you have multiple cills in one room you will want them all level with each other. 

I have 5 windows all in the same room that need to all be the same height, I think it took a good day to get the laser shooting nicely across them all. 

Ive been on a job recently where we took out two sets of patio doors and reinstalled them because they where different heights to each other, both sets in the same room. 

Pay peanuts you will get monkeys. 

Im on another forum just for builders and the going rate for an internal door hanging and furniture is about £80 a door. 

• Like 3