Leak

Alwayslearning22

I’ve had a leak under my boiler for 7 days before Ive noticed it. 
the water has run under the walls and under the tiles on my floor( coming up through grout) 

Should I be concerned about mould behind the walls? Will I need to replace skirting boards they are soaked. 

Any tips on getting the place to dry out? 
cheers 

If skirts are MDF then rip them out, pine or hardwood and they will be ok. 
if water is coming up through grout then there must be voids under the tiles and it will cause problems with the floor or just start to smell or start mould growing on the grout lines

50 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes it is a horror show.  Can you take up a few tiles to see how extensive the damage is?  The dehumidifier doesn't have much to work with if the water is trapped under the tiles.

I may have no choice. I might just wait and see what happens. 

11 minutes ago, markc said:

If skirts are MDF then rip them out, pine or hardwood and they will be ok. 
if water is coming up through grout then there must be voids under the tiles and it will cause problems with the floor or just start to smell or start mould growing on the grout lines

Yeah it’s only some grout lines it’s showing up in. Would the wall be protected with a dpc? One less thing to worry about maybe.

48 minutes ago, Alwayslearning22 said:

Yeah it’s only some grout lines it’s showing up in. Would the wall be protected with a dpc? One less thing to worry about maybe.

Wall should be fine, plaster shouldn’t go right to floor, neither should plasterboard if it’s a stud wall.

• Thanks 1

As above.  I have worked on 2 "wet" properties.

The last one was left empty in winter, a water pipe in loft burst and when it thawed emptied the contents of the water tank into a bedroom.  Part of the ceiling came down and the floor was well soaked.

The insurance surveyor thought it needed drastic action and the insurance paid to strip the whole property back to a bare shell, dry it for weeks with a dehumidifier then rebuild it.  They got a virtually new house.

I presume the insurance took the view that if you just repaired the obviously wet bits then in future years you could be looking at more problems lurking?

• Thanks 1

Water finds the easiest route, and under your tiles doesn't sound like it.

Have you seen the leak? Where from and how fast?

You should advise your insurers immediately, even if trying to resolve it yourself. Then you are covered if it is bad.

They may send an inspector or ask you to see how it goes....their decision.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, saveasteading said:

How long do you think would the drip take to fill a mug?

Obv you need to stop the leak. Meantimd perhaps you can divert it to drip into a bucket.

I’d say about 2 hours to fill a cup.

I had a heating engineer out to fix it today. I also bought. Dehumidifiers from screw fix might be too small though? It’s a 12lt one 

Edited by Alwayslearning22