Roof Truss Delivery

IronMike

Hi 

When these are delivered, is it industry standard for the supplier to also help load these onto the new build? 

Had a delivery with driver refusing to load on the roof trusses. This after a month delay in delivery. 

Means I will have to hire a crane.

As you can imagine I am very disappointed with the lack of service. 

Any advice appreciated. 

Cheers 

Edited by IronMike

Pretty standard I am afraid.

If it were single storey, the hiab on the delivery lorry might reach and you could suggest to the driver a few £££ for him to lift them and stack them at one end of the roof, but I doubt the hiab will reach a 2 storey house.

A crane will lift them one at a time and spend the time to get them right, braced then lift the next one.  A delivery driver would never take that much time so the best you just might get is all the trusses at one end of the roof still to be handballed into place and braced.

• Like 1

Relax. You havent been cheated. A hiab capable of doing that lift would be much more expensive.

The hiab used is unlikely to have the strength or reach to lift onto the roof. Also, the delivery company are not contractors so the driver won't have the skills or insurance to do it.

Best take the realistic view that the delivery cost was low, using the best and cheapest vehicle for the job,  so you have not been overcharged. 

Really, you have not lost out or been treated badly.

Can I point you towards risk assessments? If the hiab was going to lift onto the roof, then you should have previously  discussed the process with them in some detail. As you now should do for the hoisting.

• Like 1

think about it.

truss delivery arrives at 2pm, you have been paying 2 or 3 chippies to sit around waiting from 8am. they get a 1/4 trusses on then that's it for the day. The lorry driver takes them back and you try again another day.

Doesn't sound very sensible does it.

You (not the driver) offload, stack against the scaff then book in the chippies and a crane and hope weather plays ball.

• Like 1

I am on a very tight site and have trusses to fit.  I have left it to the truss company to do the whole thing to include crash deck, delivery, cranage and install all on their own RAMS.  We will just provide scaffold and pay the bill.  Expensive but it derisks it.

• Like 1