Feedback on 1st attempt at en-suite / bedroom floor plan

Gill

10 hours ago, ETC said:

Second attempt.

I wouldn't like that. I would want the guest loo to be off the main corridor, as it is now but not necessarily in the current position. This would also be for dinner and other casual guests to find - so ideally would be nearer the sitting/dining room - currently where the bedroom door is. Might it be possible to bring both bathrooms down to this wall (currently where fitted wardrobes are) and have the ensuite access wholy in the main bedroom? This would give up the window to the bedroom. Cats could use the guest bathroom.🤷‍♂️

10 hours ago, ETC said:

Second attempt.

B623AD3C-0B3A-4D64-ADBD-5A27D8D7782B.png

This looks to make the most sense.  Ticks every box! Thank you very much for putting this together. 

9 hours ago, Jilly said:

How about using the other loo and shower in the morning? The actual ensuite close to the bed might wake him up? Just use the proper one when you have guests or when he's awake?

Agreed - showers is what we would use the most, day to day morning. The tub is currently not used at all but that's because its a big ole sunken blue monster and it wipes out the water tank in half a fill! A normal size tub would be used more bute probably weekend. 

22 minutes ago, Radian said:

I wouldn't like that. I would want the guest loo to be off the main corridor, as it is now but not necessarily in the current position. This would also be for dinner and other casual guests to find - so ideally would be nearer the sitting/dining room - currently where the bedroom door is. Might it be possible to bring both bathrooms down to this wall (currently where fitted wardrobes are) and have the ensuite access wholy in the main bedroom? This would give up the window to the bedroom. Cats could use the guest bathroom.🤷‍♂️

Can quite wrap my head around that - I think that would need to internal bathrooms, neither with natural light? Does sound more practical for guests & visitors to have direct access via the corridor but I think that might have to be the compromise. 

6 hours ago, Gill said:

Can quite wrap my head around that - I think that would need to internal bathrooms, neither with natural light? Does sound more practical for guests & visitors to have direct access via the corridor but I think that might have to be the compromise. 

Windows, who needs 'em in a bathroom?

2.jpg.e7eae83c6582d334ca4372c453f4ce10.jpg

Ghost of old layout, with no changes to corridor. Adapting the plumbing could be an issue though.

2.jpg.c6bd30edd4d1c7ffa9fe5a3149bdb04f.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

If this is your "decline and die in" house, have you considered a walk-in shower to replace the bathtub.

My version of that is make your en-suite a proper wet room.  Once you have had a wet room, you will never by choice have an ordinary room with a shower cubicle ever again.

And put the bathtub, that gets used once in a blue moon, in the family bathroom (which is also another wet room) which actually means the family bathroom is slightly larger than our en-suite.

Another tip for quiet, is NEVER place a WC on a wall adjoining a bedroom (your own or the other bedroom) they will know every time you flush it and the cistern refills.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

My version of that is make your en-suite a proper wet room.  Once you have had a wet room, you will never by choice have an ordinary room with a shower cubicle ever again.

And put the bathtub, that gets used once in a blue moon, in the family bathroom (which is also another wet room) which actually means the family bathroom is slightly larger than our en-suite.

Another tip for quiet, is NEVER place a WC on a wall adjoining a bedroom (your own or the other bedroom) they will know every time you flush it and the cistern refills.

Two wet rooms.

So what about the cats? 😛

(Yes, I know your boss moggie lives in the sun lounge, but I have already tried that one on this thread.)

11 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Two wet rooms.

So what about the cats? 😛

What about them?  Obviously don't put the litter trays where the shower is.  Not all of a wet room actually gets wet.  Though I admit our cat does get up off the mat and leaves the room when you turn the shower on.

10 hours ago, ETC said:

Or…….

8903750A-4531-4C3E-BBFB-321C2C297542.png

Two baths definitely overkill for us. The sunroom exit is actually on the wall that the wardrobes are on in this design. (The schedule has it on the right wall but not quite in the right position). 

4 hours ago, Radian said:

Windows, who needs 'em in a bathroom?

2.jpg.e7eae83c6582d334ca4372c453f4ce10.jpg

Ghost of old layout, with no changes to corridor. Adapting the plumbing could be an issue though.

2.jpg.c6bd30edd4d1c7ffa9fe5a3149bdb04f.jpg

This is a bit of a curve ball but I like it.

Plumbing would be by big concern as we're on septic system /attic water tanks & immersion heater in the cupboard in the hall. No idea if it's feasible but I suspect if it would crank the budget right up. Would give a massive bedroom though which might let me move my wfh setup in there from the living room. 

39 minutes ago, Radian said:

Psst...  V

floor_plan.thumb.JPG.95ac648441294c340f52240e7551ccf2.jpg.25895c49956dfa5aad484c4a0394d153.jpg

That is currently the 'damp' room. Tiles have been letting in water in the shower area. We had hoped we could put off layout changed for another 6 months or so but I'm loathed to spend cash fixing something we'll rip out. 

Other half loves the wet room. Me, not so much. That's probably more due to the nature of our current one. Horrid hospital type flooring, no floor separator stopping water from shower and tiled floor to ceiling in black. Grim. 

1 hour ago, Gill said:

Would give a massive bedroom though which might let me move my wfh setup in there from the living room. 

Do not do that. Really not good Feng shui to have anything work related in the bedroom. The bedroom should be a place of rest. Anything that remind you of work will interfere with that, even if only at a subconscious level.

1 hour ago, Gill said:

That's probably more due to the nature of our current one. Horrid hospital type flooring, no floor separator stopping water from shower and tiled floor to ceiling in black. Grim. 

That's the point of a wet room, no steps in the floor, just one continuous floor throughput.  that does not mean it all gets wet.

1 hour ago, Gill said:

no floor separator stopping water from shower

This is just a design issue. You don’t need a a physical separator, just a well thought out layout and well specified shower screen. In our two wet rooms, we still have shower screens, but they are of the fixed variety, allowing you to walk in and out of the shower without having to open/close anything. They work really well. 

3 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

Do not do that. Really not good Feng shui to have anything work related in the bedroom. The bedroom should be a place of rest. Anything that remind you of work will interfere with that, even if only at a subconscious level.

Ageed. Having a good think about what's needed and a cosy place to kip is all. Getting wardrobes and drawers etc out that space would make a very relaxing room. I'm not one for a TV in the bedroom either so more likely to go with a smaller single purpose space. 

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

Not all of a wet room actually gets wet. 

Wanna bet? My lad's not too bad now but the girl, even the bog roll gets wet if not covered in hair dye! Fairer sex my ar$e, needs to learn to use the squeegee and clear the wall drain occasionally! 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That's the point of a wet room, no steps in the floor, just one continuous floor throughput.  that does not mean it all gets wet.

4 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

This is just a design issue. You don’t need a a physical separator, just a well thought out layout and well specified shower screen. In our two wet rooms, we still have shower screens, but they are of the fixed variety, allowing you to walk in and out of the shower without having to open/close anything. They work really well. 

I have seen some lovely wet rooms in hotels and I'm certainly not adverse to a well thought out one that doesn't result in puddles on the floor & soggy bog roll. 

11 minutes ago, Gill said:

Ageed. Having a good think about what's needed and a cosy place to kip is all. Getting wardrobes and drawers etc out that space would make a very relaxing room. I'm not one for a TV in the bedroom either so more likely to go with a smaller single purpose space. 

You could partition the 'big bedroom' off at the 'sun lounge' end (Japanese paper wall style?) and move the door to the ensuite over to keep it in the bedroom, and make that space your WFH office. I had pictured having a sofa down that end anyway. Does it have a view beyond the Sun lounge?

9 minutes ago, Radian said:

You could partition the 'big bedroom' off at the 'sun lounge' end (Japanese paper wall style?) and move the door to the ensuite over to keep it in the bedroom, and make that space your WFH office. I had pictured having a sofa down that end anyway. Does it have a view beyond the Sun lounge?

Big ole garden then a field occasionally filled with sheep. Will be better views once we've tackled more of the overgrown garden areas that obscure the view. 

A space that size would definitely need more function. We're pretty good for lounge space between the sun room and the living room plus I have an aversion to TV /lounge areas in bedrooms - reminds me of shared flat days! 

2 minutes ago, Gill said:

Big ole garden then a field occasionally filled with sheep. Will be better views once we've tackled more of the overgrown garden areas that obscure the view.

Sounds like a nice spot for an office then. You've also got the side window, lots of wall space for desk & shelving. Lending some light to the bedroom with a frosted glass partition could improve the light in there.