Herts police recover £50,000 of stolen tools

There was a spate of van theft up here 2 years ago. I mentioned it at the time. 3 of the vans belonging to the builders that built my shell got broken into the same night outside their houses in the same village. The investigating police were certain it was a gang from "down south" targeting villages just off the A9 starting at the north and working their way down overnight.  I doubt it was this gang though.

if you want to make sure your property is identified there are several well known methods checked by the police. Any large plant is on a section of the PNC so your diggers should be registered to you when you buy them.

Small plant can go on one of the national registers for free such as TER

Mark you tools and record numbers as stated above. However a lot of forces only put the serial number on local systems so if stolen in say Humberside and found in Berkshire there would be no record.

Use something like smart water. This is national and all forces check for it these days. A lot of forces do free marking days or even give out free smart water kits. Often best is to engrave with postcode if you can as an area of the tool filed off should raise suspicion.

• 1 year later...

After getting totally wiped out in Aug 2017, I made a commitment to spend money on security each time I bought new tools.

Just bought a couple new Makita bits and as my lock up is like fort knox I thinking to mark all my tools with SmartWater or SelectDNA

Anyone have a preference on which system is superior?

Both packs cost £50, SmartWater marking is guaranteed for 5 years but I'm doubtful it would last that long on tools that get a beating.