Geo fence

Lane entrance to our house is pitch black at night . Whilst I could put a pir light up I’m not keen on helping the neighbors. Quite happy for them to fall  on a dark winters evening and their corpse laying rotting in the bleakness .

Anyway ( and more importantly ) SWMBO finds it too dark !

So I was thinking of a method to identify swmbo ( presumably based on her having her phone on her ) .

Doesnt need to be accurate - but work reliably .

Anyone tried any geo fence type technology ? . The lane is too far from my router ( so can’t use that as a recognised connection point ) . Some kind of basic sensor embedded in the wall in the lane ??

Ideas welcome ! ( I love doing things like this ! ) 

I’m tempted to go down the route of adding an ASUS mesh hub outside ( in a plastic box ) .

Fairly confident then that I can detect a device connected to my WiFi .

Will somehow need to know when SWMBO has entered the property to turn the light off . 
As I have an ASUS mesh at least for now I can experiment. Feels a bit overkill though 

multiple Ssids ?

Edited by pocster

Bet she's got an iphone. Pity.

OwnTracks on Android runs in the background, all the time, whereas on iOS it is "killed off" by the operating system and woken up every several hundred seconds, in which it gets a teeny tiny time slot to do its thing.

Still reading though. Things may look up.

My experience of my SWMBO is that any automation needs to work 100% of the time with zero interaction from the user with no obvious fiddling from the on-site IT support. Anything less than this and it’s ‘what’s wrong with a switch’ Plus she has a head torch already so I don’t have this problem 😂 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

My experience of my SWMBO is that any automation needs to work 100% of the time with zero interaction from the user with no obvious fiddling from the on-site IT support. Anything less than this and it’s ‘what’s wrong with a switch’ Plus she has a head torch already so I don’t have this problem 😂 

Mines the same . 99% HA is not good enough . As we know 100% is impossible.

33 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Everyone here knows I hate tech (unlike @pocster) so I would use a pir outside light, yes I know Pocster hates his neighbours but is it worth it ? it would be nice to illuminate anyone that might visit (presuming he has any friends 🤷‍♂️).

You’re the only one that visits . You just want a pir light so you don’t fall and break your neck . Oh yes ( as you can imagine ) (expletive deleted) the neighbors 

• Haha 1