Pipes through joist in wrong place

Paul Alan

I have just finished the pipe work to the new part of the house and realised that some are otuside of the regulation requirements.

Will there be a way to rectify this without having to do the whole lot again?

If I do have to move the lot how will I amend the holes that will be left?

Many thanks

There are laid down rules on where and what size you can drill or notch a joist.  Working in mostly older houses I encounter all sorts of drilling and notching in all sorts of places.  Most trades don't even know you are supposed to stick to certain rules and drill whatever hole they need where they need it.  I have never seen a joist failing due to holes in wrong place.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Most trades don't even know you are supposed to stick to certain rules 

Even college trained tradespeople have great gaps in their knowledge. I suspect many tutors don't know in the first place.

How beams work shoud be fundamental training to sparkys, plumbers etc.

One hour talk with hands on examples of the effect of depth, and how the middle is neutral space.

And then there is airtightness, vapour barriers....

• Like 1

Photo would help

If they are solid joists iThey would have to be pretty bad to fail

I joists can be strengthened with 18 mil ply 

Probably won’t be picked up if it’s only holes a bit close 

• Like 1

Its two 15mm pipes running through 175mm joists. They are around 50mm from where the joist enters the wall, the joist spans 2.1 meter.

Main issue is Building Control will be around before too long to do a pre plaster inspection, I would rather not have to re-route it all, if at all possible. 

Practically you could build the great pyramid of Giza on top of a 175mm joist spanning 2.1m.   You might have to leave the top stone off considering you put some holes in it!

I wouldn't give it another thought. 

If BC note it you could always screw some metal plates to the side of the joist to reinforce it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iceverge said:

Practically you could build the great pyramid of Giza on top of a 175mm joist spanning 2.1m.   You might have to leave the top stone off considering you put some holes in it!

I wouldn't give it another thought. 

If BC note it you could always screw some metal plates to the side of the joist to reinforce it. 

I reckon they'll spot it!  They dont like me too much because I'm doing things myself as much as I can so I used to ask a lot of questions. Now they just ignore my emails.

Just realised the sparks have done the same thing too.

Thanks

5 hours ago, Paul Alan said:

50mm from where the joist enters the wall

There is negligible bending stress at the end, so it is fine. The bco should also know this. But if he doesn't, tell him that you know it is not ideal, but have been informed that there is negligible bending stress at the supports. Then you may just end up needing proof. I'm sure it will be easily explained in some book which we here might find.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

There is negligible bending stress at the end, so it is fine. The bco should also know this. But if he doesn't, tell him that you know it is not ideal, but have been informed that there is negligible bending stress at the supports. Then you may just end up needing proof. I'm sure it will be easily explained in some book which we here might find.

Thanks