Cost comparisons - Aluminimum Clad Windows

DavidG

26 minutes ago, craig said:

m2 price should be product only. It gives a false representation otherwise and m2 pricing is ambiguous at best.

Hi Craig

Ambiguous, How so?  i would have thought  per square metre is as close to objective as we are likely to get.

How many fixed windows, how many doors, how many opening windows, what type of wood, finger jointed or not, sliding doors, what type of glass, low e coatings etc.

Edited by craig

Just now, saveasteading said:

but not £700 surely?

Absolutely.

1 minute ago, saveasteading said:

With my Estimator's hat, I would want a full S and F price from a window installer.

From your installer no, fitting only unless they are supply and i stall but the m2 price should be seperate.

Just now, craig said:

the m2 price should be separate.

Should? A main contractor needs a price to plug in early, and then can adjust when quotes come in.

So I would use between £350/m2 for upvc  and £550/m2 for ali, based on recent quotes, and it would be very close.

That will be out of date.

I will work out our recent ones at some stage.

11 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Seems expensive to me. That’s around Internorm quote we had for triple glazing iirc. Maybe shop around with other suppliers?

Thats sort of the reason i jumped into this thread. I saw numbers being mentioned here that appear to be at odds with what i have learned so far. I need  a breakdown, itemised line by line of the elements that are lumped into my 'weathertight package' phase of my build. At the moment i have an opaque figure for the package as a whole. It might turn out to be great value but as of today i dont have enough info to determine this.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Some prices are specs... we went with Internorm and the quality is excellent, really noticed the difference and they haven't even finished installing so it's not close to air-tight.

Velfac V200E we also looked at - prices similar to Internorm.

specs:

Internorm

Retrofit

Timber/Alu Argon filled triple glazing 48mm (4b/18/4b toughened/18Ar/4)

HF410 windows, 0.71 W/m2K stated, calculations were 0.73 to 0.84Uw

HF410 doors, 0.73 W/m2K stated

Doors had to be custom due to height, with 1/3 triple glazed obscure, 2/3 timber-alu.

9 windows, total 7.96 sq m

3 doors, 4.85 sq m with unusually low height that was unavailable from all major sellers (Solidor do Tinidor but no other big firms do).

Dec 2022 price £14,435 excl VAT

£17,320 with VAT included 

Fitting was all thermally broken eg compreband to our solid stone walls (EWI is planned).

Extras:

* Removal of old, retrofit,

* 2 thumb turns and split spindles on doors

* Hirest weather resistant color

* 1 window obscure glass

+ Full fitting including removal of old and scaffold brought up

* Cat flap fitted in 1 door

* Presumably a charge for overnight accommodation (2 people, 4 nights) and travel due to distance 

Final cost:

£24,342 incl VAT - May 2023 (discount of about 5 or 10% at the time)

(£17,320 excluding 20% VAT).

Skip costs extra.

Not a single supplier in our county was willing to quote for any EnerPHit standard spec from any manufacturer so travel/hotel bumped our costs.

Green Building Store wouldn't do fitting for their windows and doors and neither would local tradespeople.

Well worth it but we absolutely need a

HVAC for condensation since extra insulating the loft. 

Cat has been sunbathing near a window ever since it got replaced and the heating is on noticeably less despite it not quite being finished yet.

TL;DR: Internorm EnerPHit prices above

Windows approx £700-1,000 each inc VAT, fitting, removal of old, larger windows would likely be cheaper per sq m. Internorm only do single panel windows (glazing bars are an option) and only tilt and turn.

Doors were in excess of £5,000 inc VAT and fitting, with only the HF410 model able to made in the shallow height we needed for retrofit, and us having a custom design. With no porch or conservatory on the house, the doors have made an incredible difference.

Door designer prices are online: 

https://uk.internorm.com/internorm-door-designer/

Thumb turns & split spindle were fitted after by installer included in price, which were Winkhaus - amazing for keyless emergency exit, and keyless locking from inside without risk of accidentally getting locked out.

Trickle vents - England - current UK regs state trickle vents are needed, clearly not suitable for EnerPHit or Passivehaus - but this regulation has some exceptions including certain other ventilation methods. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/ventilation-approved-document-f

• 4 months later...

Starting the process of getting quotes from a few recommended suppliers. Just got my first one from the local distributor of Rationel and nearly fell off my chair. Worked out at £1997 per m2.

Quote is for 38m2 mostly of windows with a few French doors all in formaplus triple glazed with glazing bars. 

I had requested the order be split in two as this is a refurb in stages, if I combine to one it drops by ~10%. Still seems way beyond what I would have expected for Rationel.

Hopefully some of the others are more reasonable. 

Our 3G Alu clad Low E Nordan windows including a french door and a sliding door with all the others tilt and turn were £760/mfitted. Jan 2023 prices. They went up significantly March/April time apparently. 

Ours were supplied as part of the timber kit so there would have been the kit suppliers margin included in that. 

Edited by Kelvin

1 hour ago, Kelvin said:

£760/mfitted.

We bought Nordan too and our joiner fitted them very easily and quickly. I think a bit more costly than Kelvin's.

But they wouldn't do slanted tops (no explanation) or work within our arches, so we bought aluminium windows for them at about half the rate. Perfectly good, but not tactile and lovely.

Nordan are less flexible than many others. It also all got a bit difficult with max sizes and weights too. Our sliding door was originally 5m with a 1m tilt and turn window. But Nordan and the installer had different opinions on whether that could be 3G as it was too heavy according to the installer although Nordan said they could do it. In the end we fitted a 3.6m sliding door and a 1.4m French door which was the better outcome for us as the French door is a proper usable door whereas the tilt and turn windows are windows that can open like a door but they aren’t really that practical for every day use and are likely to get damaged.