Cost comparisons - Aluminimum Clad Windows

DavidG

Posted (edited)

Per m2 pricing, is very, very subjective. There are too many variables for it to be a good tool for comparison but it does give a baseline figure but I'm not a fan of it.

At the mid level aspect of the market in terms or pricing, I'd say that £700 to £800 per m2 supply only, is a fair price. At the higher end of the market, I'd say that £1K to £1.2k per m2 is a fair price. 

23 hours ago, haythorn_1 said:

This window is £4k fitted from rationel. Supply only from nordvest for this was circa £3k

Part of an overall order or one window? I'd say that's a fair price to be honest for one item, if it was part of a larger order, then I'd be looking for that to be a little less and in the £2.5K region but that's toughened on all panes (triple glazed), Pas 24 would be roughly the same.

Edited by craig

Thanks @craig

The quotes were part of a larger order of around 40m2 of windows and French doors. I just shared that specific window as an example of the style.

Who would you say are mid level suppliers?

Ive not been able to find any quotes sub £1k per m2 that are alu-clad. Maybe my expectations are too high!

4 hours ago, haythorn_1 said:

Who would you say are mid level suppliers?

The likes of Rationel, Velfac, Zyle Fenster, Ideal Combi are mid level in terms of cost, quality etc. 

The likes of Internorm, Gaulhofer, Katzbeck, Enersign are at the higher end in terms of cost and quality for example.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

In your opinion  is that quality difference obvious, and worth the money?

Yes.

Edit: I should qualify that by saying I’m in the industry, I have an advantage in knowing and seeing the reasons why. Others may not and therefor that difference may not be obvious until pointed out.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, craig said:

The likes of Rationel, Velfac, Zyle Fenster, Ideal Combi are mid level in terms of cost, quality etc. 

The likes of Internorm, Gaulhofer, Katzbeck, Enersign are at the higher end in terms of cost and quality for example.

Where would you say NorDan and Norskken sit? I ask as their windows looked similar to me but their quotes are quite different.

Just now, Sparrowhawk said:

Where would you say NorDan and Norskken sit? I ask as their windows looked similar to me but their quotes are quite different.

Not for me to say publicly but Nordan have a place in the market as it’s a cheap product 😉

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

@craig - I think this is still on topic...

PHPP lists glazing components, not so much by supplier as you might expect, but by individual part. So, for instance, there are:

Glazing units by Guardian - Climaguard, Saint-Gobain, LX Hausys etc. (Maybe 30 options.)

Frames by Aliplast, batimnet, Beijing Milan, Harbin Sayyas, Optiwin etc. (Maybe 250 options.)

Which led me to think (maybe wrongly) that most of the suppliers to the UK might be sourcing some standard glazing units and some frame profiles and insulation and then doing their own assembly. Maybe some have their own frame profiles. I know you need quite a bit of volume to get a batch of aluminium profile extruded, so that would support this thought.

Is that right about the parts, and industry set-up, or is PHPP just weird that way?

Edited by Alan Ambrose

Went to visit the local residence 9 windows supplier this morning. Thought we would look at some other cheaper options to see whether we noticed the difference. Definitely not as nice looking / feeling but much cheaper.

Interestingly the supplier said that triple glazed with multiple glazing bars is massively increasing the price. He had to run it again to check it was right. So maybe that’s what’s making our quotes so high.

20 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Is that right about the parts, and industry set-up

Yes and no. Some systems make, or commission, all their components and make it all at their own factories, and deliver to site.

Local fabricators buy in the parts and assemble at their own workshops. They may buy the extrusions from just one or from a choice of suppliers. The extrusions turn up in very long lengths, and are cut to size on site and assembled on benches.

These fabricators can usually make up the glazing too.

Ironmongery and internal parts are  also from a choice of suppliers.

Just like with cars  there are eg bosch parts on many makes.

Whatever the cost and quality, these components are all sophisticated.

We had a really good quote from Brill Sawmills - Simon from Frame Technologies recommended them. Alu-clad timber triple glazed - 15 windows, one set of 4.8 metre wide sliding doors, one set of french doors, and two entrance doors (glazed). Total including installation was under £40k. Average u-value for all of the units is just under 0.8.

5 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

@craig - I think this is still on topic...

PHPP lists glazing components, not so much by supplier as you might expect, but by individual part. So, for instance, there are:

Glazing units by Guardian - Climaguard, Saint-Gobain, LX Hausys etc. (Maybe 30 options.)

Frames by Aliplast, batimnet, Beijing Milan, Harbin Sayyas, Optiwin etc. (Maybe 250 options.)

Which led me to think (maybe wrongly) that most of the suppliers to the UK might be sourcing some standard glazing units and some frame profiles and insulation and then doing their own assembly. Maybe some have their own frame profiles. I know you need quite a bit of volume to get a batch of aluminium profile extruded, so that would support this thought.

Is that right about the parts, and industry set-up, or is PHPP just weird that way?

You’re not wrong, there are system suppliers such as Gutmann, Siegenia, Maco for example. There are many uPVC systems and glass suppliers, such as Pilkingtom, Guardian, Saint Gobain, Euroglas, AGC and hardware suppliers like Siegenia, Maco, Roto, Mila and more. There are manufacturers that put these systems together from the parts they purchase.

On 16/05/2024 at 10:14, haythorn_1 said:

I've started looking at the top end of uPVC as an alternative.

High quality uPVC are perfectly fine and will last decades and decades without any care whatsoever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1