Wardrobe door materials

Grosey

I'm looking for bare sheets of material I can use to make custom wardrobe doors to go in the eaves of a room in roof. White gloss. I know howdens kitchen doors are probably an option but wondering if there were any cheaper options or online suppliers? Don't want to go as cheap as melamine, but something along those lines. 

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Howdens do not do wardrobe sized doors - or didn't when I wanted some a month ago.

They will offer 2 small ones joined together.

I was was thinking perhaps a larder sized end panel?

8 minutes ago, Grosey said:

Not sure on that, or whether the end panels are up to being a door. 

Slab internal doors from a house being renovated work well if you can find one.

Edited by Ferdinand

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Not sure on that, or whether the end panels are up to being a door. 

Unlikely to be drilled for hinges either. MDF does not take screws well so the correct door hinges are key - the one I linked will also drill them for you. 

7 minutes ago, Grosey said:

I've got a full height white gloss end panel and two half height left over from my kitchen. Don't know where you are but if close enough you're welcome to have a look.

How about sliding doors? I used 18mm MDF to put sliding doors across one end of a narrow room. Just ran the router down the long edges, MDF primed and glossed. Bolted the top rollers through. You can hardly see them once glossed. Note I'm sitting in the cheap seats here but is doesn't half hide a lot of tat! 

Made one fubar, the bolts were too long on one door and I damaged the one behind. Never got round to fixing it...which is most unlike me! ;) Also need to add a strip so you can't see the top track. (SWMBO painted them):

20170627_181345

20170627_181148

20170627_181225

Edited by Onoff

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

MDF does not take screws well

The entire Wren kitchen I've just fitted was all MDF doors and decor panels. 

They drilled a 6mm hole and fitted a nylon plug into it, and the screw went into that. 

I had to retro drill the integrated washing machine door and I just screwed into the MDF TBH. No drama there but ( with both MDF and chipboard ) don't over tighten ;)

47 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I was going to say make them out of mdf completely finish, and then take and have sprayed with 2 pack or epoxy. 

I built a dressmaking table for the wife and spayed it with epoxy primer and then 2 pack white. 

It has a better finish on it than furniture from a shop. 

A couple of boys I know make their own kitchens. They do exactly that and the results are great. 

For contrast, the ( £250 retail ) 22mm tower decor ends that came from Wren are utter dog?. Even Howdens wrap the gloss all the way around, but no, not Wren  >:(

For the money Wren is just zero value for money. The showroom is absolutely sensational, a work of art, but after you sign the cheque it's downhill all the way. 7 island decor ends arrived damaged, or the wrong colour. 5 weeks of failures to get a non damaged one. Twats.  

Rant ending in 3.....2......1.......done.