Mixing large amounts of Concrete on site...

Having laid the first course of Nudura, I've got to do my 225mm wall pour soon. It's just not worth getting a boom pump in for it, as it would need to be 32m to get into the plot.

We could get a Mini-mix up here, but I kinda like the idea of pouring these individual walls at my own pace. What are the practicalities of mixing this with normal cement mixers? I'm not massively rushed, so time isn't really the issue. I'm about to work out the volumes, but I think it might be around 1.5-2.0 cube total.

Is this your DPC course? If so then it'll need to be a single pour.

Just get a mini mix in and a have a couple a couple extra guys with barrows and you'll have the job done in less than hour. Hand mixing that amount on your own is a very, very long and tough day, two realistically. And it'll work out more expensive than the ready mix. Factor in the time you'll have to spend getting the cement etc ordered/bought. You're only at the start do the job, you'll soon realise that your own time is precious, don't waste it trting to save a few pennies. And, you just end up physically exhausted doing too much manual jobs!!!

Most I've mixed with a belle mini in a single session is 0.5m3. it's a lot of shovelling.

Edited by Conor
  • Like 2

For small quantities you don’t need a boom especially at low level but as above, your time would be better spent placing the mix in one go with a well mixed batch. 2 cube is almost 5tonnes and that has to be moved on site, shovelled into the mixer and then from mixer into position … let the mini mixer or batch truck do most of the work. Most batch trucks come with a couple of guys who will wheel barrow into position for you

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Conor said:

Is this your DPC course? If so then it'll need to be a single pour.

Just get a mini mix in and a have a couple a couple extra guys with barrows and you'll have the job done in less than hour. Hand mixing that amount on your own is a very, very long and tough day, two realistically. And it'll work out more expensive than the ready mix. Factor in the time you'll have to spend getting the cement etc ordered/bought. You're only at the start do the job, you'll soon realise that your own time is precious, don't waste it trting to save a few pennies. And, you just end up physically exhausted doing too much manual jobs!!!

Most I've mixed with a belle mini in a single session is 0.5m3. it's a lot of shovelling.

Interesting point.

Our building is a bit of a tricky shape, I had planned to pour only the walls onto which beams will bear. It is made a little trickier because I have a 600mm floor-level change between entrance hall and kitchen, part of the entrance hall wall will bear beams at that level, then also beams at the +600mm level, so that part at least will need to be dealt with differently.

Our main building is just over 13m long and 5.5m wide. The 13m walls are not bearing any of the floor, so it seems silly to carve up the blocks and pour concrete in these walls.

So, with beam and block aside, does the waterproof concrete have to go in as a separate exercise to the main wall pour? I thought it was just the case that the first couple of deliveries would be a waterproof mix, with the rest going in on top later that day.

Here's our Beam & Block design.

• The blue walls will bear beams at 225mm void height
  • The red walls will bear beams also at 225mm void height, but off a +600mm foundation
  • The purple wall will bear the beams from the 'red' section, but off the lower foundation (needing an 825mm fill), no part of the 'blue' section bears on this
  • The little green section will need to bear the 'blue' section beams at the 225mm void and 3 of the 'red' section beams later on (I guess it'll need to be topped up once the blue section floor is done)
  • The yellow walls will bear beams with a 625mm void

All uncoloured walls will not bear any part of the floor structure.

1970249547_BeamPlan.thumb.jpg.1d866c7c2daee5f6c049609ee2dfe9fa.jpg

I mixed 8m3 for our garage floor in a 300l tractor mixer. I was loading the gravel with a digger mind you, but it was still total suffering. It allowed me to move my premade floor shutter and do one "square" per day but the difference in mixes and joints are apparent. 

I wouldn't consider it for your purpose. It's impossible to achieve the consistency of delivered concrete self mixing and the price I paid for cement alone was more than the cost of delivered readymix. 

Something like the below would work. Is there any point more than 5.5m away from where the truck could reverse to?  

image.thumb.png.42cbb289840a596b5e2fd425780c58ab.png

• Like 2

I'm taking onboard all the opinions about the mix quality and time etc and coming around to the idea of readymix etc.

This is the biggest truck we've had up here. I don't think you'd get anything bigger up here, there's a bend to tackle and on an incline (the building in the background of the pic is a 16th Century Tudor Barn which sits right up to and on the bend). I don't know how long the truck is, but the soil pipes must have been 6m. He was a good driver, not everyone could have managed it. From this point, there's still another 100m to the plot, but that's the hard bit done.

20211028_104051.thumb.jpg.9bd216eebb2d5b75b3dd4005c33c1b4a.jpg

5 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

overhead pump is peanuts. crazy to try and cheap it.

The 42m boom pump that did our foundations was £1200. Not sure where you're getting your peanuts from.

I could get away with 32m, but to pour 2-3 cube?! Plus I have to obtain permission to place it on third-party land. I have permission to do that for the wall pours, but this would be additional to the agreement and extra faff.

3 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

The 42m boom pump that did our foundations was £1200. Not sure where you're getting your peanuts from.

I could get away with 32m, but to pour 2-3 cube?! Plus I have to obtain permission to place it on third-party land. I have permission to do that for the wall pours, but this would be additional to the agreement and extra faff.

Ignor my previous reply didn’t realise you were just looking for 2-3 cube 

who did your floor ?

We did a couple of small walls in our ICF and used a mix on demand lorry, more expensive than ready mix.  But we did a couple cubes, by barrow and buckets, we also did a few other concrete jobs at the same time, all different grades and slumps, all from one lorry.

19 minutes ago, Chanmenie said:

Ignor my previous reply didn’t realise you were just looking for 2-3 cube 

who did your floor ?

We're now getting quotes for the Beam & Block, I'm planning to lay it.

Off topic, is your Nutrient Neutrality situation now resolved?

1 minute ago, Mulberry View said:

We're now getting quotes for the Beam & Block, I'm planning to lay it.

Off topic, is your Nutrient Neutrality situation now resolved?

Yes and no, they signed off our variation of conditions but have not yet approved our surface drainage plan, they have given a date of 22nd November.

There was something they put on our case showing our dwelling was neutral so hopefully that will also apply to the surface water. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chanmenie said:

Yes and no, they signed off our variation of conditions but have not yet approved our surface drainage plan, they have given a date of 22nd November.

There was something they put on our case showing our dwelling was neutral so hopefully that will also apply to the surface water. 

Fingers crossed for you. Our Surface Water plan went straight through as it was once they were in a position to determine it. No mention of neutrality.

We have put in an amendment to vary the Treatment Plant condition now that we want to go on the mains, that'll be interesting. Due to be determined early December. If that goes through, we'll be overjoyed as we had put most of the drainage infrastructure in anyway before the whole NN debacle, assuming the variation would be straight-forward!

6 minutes ago, Mulberry View said:

Indeed appears that way. But we still need to get the Concrete from the Minimix chute into the walls! Furthest point around 15-20m from the closest point the Minimix will get to.

Mini hi-tip dumper? But a couple of cube or less isn’t bad in barrows and shovelling into the walls

Most trucks will be the same width 2.55m, small or large. The bend may prove an obstacle but I wouldn't write it off. 

I'd give your concrete supplier a call and see if they can solve the problem for you. You'll be buying a good amount over all from them. It's in their interest to find a solution.