Bat problem...how far to go

Huckleberrys

I am planning on converting a small barn and I have just got my bat survey back and they have found evidence of a small number of lesser horseshoe bats so now require a full survey but that won't be done until May. I was hoping to start work ASAP even though I don't have planning yet and now won't be putting it in until May at the earliest. 

My question is...as planning will almost certainly be granted in the end, how far do you think I could go now...insulate and concrete floor etc? Roof was never going to be touched as it was replaced 10 years ago.  If questions about work were raised there is no come back as there is no reason why a barn floor couldn't be concreted anyway!

Sorry to hear that, we demolished our existing 1970s Bungalow before we had planning received (though we had planning to refurbish it), as we felt there was a strong chance bat survey could be required (we were very sure we ddn't have any, but Grade 2 listed properties near our & their trees did have them...as you could see them at night)

We got a bit of a 'stern' response when they looked at our application and suggested bats & tree survey required, only to inform them we demolished already - as we didn't need permission to demolish. A risk, but a low one we felt, spent a few weeks expecting a fine to come through...but it never materialised

Cant help suggest how to proceed with you, but if you don't need permission to do certain aspects of work...why wait for it? (my LAYMANS / IANAL view)

Arrghh I wish you hadn't mentioned bats. 

I had my first preliminary survey 26/04  followed by 3 emergence surveys that I attended not a single bat was seen entering the house. The last one was 22/07 then they said that they were convinced that there may be a late season roost about to happen so requested another survey for 30/08. This time I went to the pub for my most expensive beer ever because in my absence they saw bats enter the roof. I smell BS and its not from bats.

My planning application is now in but I can't apply to Natural England for a license until I have planning permission which may be early November. They are talking of 6 weeks to process the licence.

I was told that the bat surveys need to be completed before you can apply for planning

On 13/10/2022 at 12:26, Huckleberrys said:

My question is...as planning will almost certainly be granted in the end, how far do you think I could go now

From bitter  experience I offer the following.

Context is important. Couple of quick questions.

Do any officials or planners or ecologists have dated documentary evidence of the property - especially, are there any photographs?

How well do you know the ecologists involved? How arsey or co-operative is the LPA's  ecologist (not yours) ? 

Let me describe what happens locally. A year before any official gets to a site where there is a hint of wild-life, and the owners live out-of-the-way (on a farm or behind screening trees) site owners kill the protected species in that location. (I've described how a few times on this board - but across a wide range of locations, pig manure works a treat it seems). 

IF there is no documentary evidence of your site after examination by the ecologist AND your site is 'out-of-sight', then locally, owners would just get on and do it.

I'm not suggesting that that is what I would do, nor suggesting you should, but on my build, since I did not follow local tradition, I spent about £6000 more than needed, and the project was delayed by 9 months.

The micropolitics  of this type of issue is extremely important. Tread lightly.

14 hours ago, joe90 said:

+1.  bats seem to have more human rights than people these days 🤯

Absolutely. They are preventing the build of 2 homes. I remain in rented until it's sorted. I don't even believe that bats showed up. In a previous survey we saw a swift circle overhead. There was an ecologist on each corner of the house, it circled over the house opposite then over mine before going on its way. The ecologists all agreed that it hadn't entered the house and I witnessed it all. When the report came it said that it had entered the building and now I have to put swift boxes in. Money for old rope that job.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Canski said:

Money for old rope that job.

Fraudulent money for not doing their job.

I did, what used to be an Ecology BSc, and some on the other students were complete zealots about their pet subjects.

It is a shame that, as far as I know, it is an unregulated industry.

Ask if they used bat detectors, that would remove some of the human element. 

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Ask if they used bat detectors, that would remove some of the human element. 

yes they had bat detectors and a sheet in the loft £200 for 4 weeks. No droppings and lo and behold the one time I wasn't there the bats appear. I'm not sure if the detections are recorded though. It is what it is ... we are in their hands. What they say goes.