Drawings

ETC

I’d like to offer help to anyone who needs help doing drawings or designing their home or extension. I'm a Registered Architect with some time on my hands. I use my iPad and an app called Concepts to draw and have already helped out a few Forum members.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

ETC helped me out massively after we were lumbered with a terrible set of drawings from our initial technician. His help and advice ultimately shaped the overall direction of the extension we're hoping will be granted final approval this week!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/10/2022 at 12:55, ETC said:

I’d like to offer help to anyone who needs help doing drawings or designing their home or extension. I'm a Registered Architect with some time on my hands. I use my iPad and an app called Concepts to draw and have already helped out a few Forum members.

Posting this again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 10/10/2022 at 12:55, ETC said:

Posting again to bump up the forum. Relatively free at the moment if anyone needs help.

Edited by ETC

On 14/09/2024 at 19:31, ETC said:

Posting again to bump up the forum. Relatively free at the moment if anyone needs help.

On 15/09/2024 at 22:48, Bozza said:

And the Buildhub BAFTA goes to……

I've followed @ETC for a while and he / she have contributed lots to BH. I've learnt loads from ETC.

@Bozza wind your neck in and look at the contribution @ETC has made to BH, the time spent helping folk and the experienced based comments that ETC makes.

I would at the very least get in touch with ETC and sound out!

2 hours ago, Gus Potter said:

I've followed @ETC for a while and he / she have contributed lots to BH. I've learnt loads from ETC.

@Bozza wind your neck in and look at the contribution @ETC has made to BH, the time spent helping folk and the experienced based comments that ETC makes.

I would at the very least get in touch with ETC and sound out!

……..er……you need to reread my comment Gus as it was intended, that Etc is deserving of an award from BH for the work they do.    You’ve entirely misinterpreted my comment and thus flaming someone who agrees with you. Not cool.

4 hours ago, Bozza said:

……..er……you need to reread my comment Gus as it was intended, that Etc is deserving of an award from BH for the work they do.   You’ve entirely misinterpreted my comment and thus flaming someone who agrees with you. Not cool.

No I've not.

Your comments can be viewed in different ways.

There is a fair bit of hostility on BH towards Architects on BH.

Lets leave it at that and have some fun designing and doing stuff.

It's a great offer @ETC - well done.

We've pretty much decided to bite the bullet and use one of two local architects, pay their costs which will be high.  Reasons are: we want some design input, we feel that we aren't necessarily going to come up with the best solution for our plot ourselves.    It's a risk though: we could spend £1000s and not be happy with the resulting concept(s) our chosen architects come up with.

One thing I am clear in my own mind about though: if we tried to design it ourselves we would end up with something a bit 'ordinary' at best and deeply flawed at worst.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Benpointer said:

It's a great offer @ETC - well done.

We've pretty much decided to bite the bullet and use one of two local architects, pay their costs which will be high.  Reasons are: we want some design input, we feel that we aren't necessarily going to come up with the best solution for our plot ourselves.    It's a risk though: we could spend £1000s and not be happy with the resulting concept(s) our chosen architects come up with.

One thing I am clear in my own mind about though: if we tried to design it ourselves we would end up with something a bit 'ordinary' at best and deeply flawed at worst.

Though I designed my house without an architect, and saved quite a bit of money, I do feel if I’d had input from a good architect my house would have been better and I may have avoided some mistakes.  I think their knowledge of light, space, materials etc can be very valuable.  I think you’re right that a good architect is more likely to push design boundaries and if you want to build something a bit more special a good architect would do that.   Key is getting the right architect.

• Like 1

On 22/09/2024 at 20:35, joe90 said:

However I designed my build with no architect input and completely happy with everything. I think it depends on how sure you are with your requirements.

Great comment.

I'm working with someone at the moment who has decades of life experience, a technologist who can easily grasp both structural and Architectural design concepts. They are managing the design process very well. I'm chipping in with a bit of SE design stuff and being a bit of a devils advocate in terms of the over all design elements of the project.

Also like many self build the design evolves particularly say in terms of drainage / buildability = cost. I think it can be helpful to have someone who does design as a day job who you can call up and chew the fat with.

• Like 1