French Doors reveals moisture.

zoothorn

Glad we veered onto pub quizzes whilst I've been tarting up me reveals (impossible task to explain the atmosphere thing here- you can only understand if you visit, &, give it a few days for it to become perfectly apparent).. bloomin 2 days work, 4 coats of Zinsser etc. Urgh. If I can avoid having to do this flippin ballache each 1-1/2 years, great.. but I bet I'm gonna have to. 

Ready for BCO, at last. 

I have a pub quiz Question. Thus. And no looking on t'internet. Advanced level this. Ok..

Neil the hippy referenced two 60's hippy tunes in The Young Ones: one was S & Garunkel's Sound of Silence ( he sang it to himself, appalingly, in the bath). What is the other?

Zoot.

CC51E668-A111-40E6-AC21-CE792701C36C.jpeg

36 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Neil the hippy referenced two 60's hippy tunes in The Young Ones: one was S & Garunkel's Sound of Silence ( he sang it to himself, appalingly, in the bath). What is the other?

Hole In My Bucket?

17 minutes ago, Roundtuit said:

It's by no means a fix for your condensation issue (and you really need to get to the root cause), but you could line the reveals with upvc cladding. At least you'd be able to wipe it clean easily and not have to paint...

Hi roundtuit, even if I had the cause, say if it was purely build-related, I can't do anything about it.. I mean not now.

As to some possible help/ preventative try-idea.. isn't this upvc addition idea kinda like what I was thinking, & asked about, with my Freefoam trim-?

IE if the cold-bridging (if it is purely this) is affecting the nearest 1cm of vertical reveal to the doorframe only, as seems the case, & if this stuff is a 'firm foam' material.. A) isn't it possibly actually designed to be a tiny extra bit of insulation, for the very issue I have-? & b) wouldn't this be in fact a better choice, than upvc cladding?

Or maybe this freefoam trim, is actually what you exactly mean by upvc cladding-?

Thx zh

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Hole in my shoe.

The Police did a song called A Hole in my Life.

Totally changed the mean if you change life to wife.

@zoothorn

Just heat the place up to 20°C.

The simple solutions are the eady ones.

He might have been thinking of the police song.. but the police weren't around in 60's. Well I mean the real ones were.

A clue. There's one word he sings, early in this clip, which is one word, of the four within the answer/ the 60's song's title.

You still won't get it. It's ultra advanced Y.Ones nerditry this.

22 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Just heat the place up to 20°C.

Had to heat my place up to 23C continuously for months to get it to dry out and then the RH dropped from the 70s to the 50s. I think keeping it warm is a little more important than ventilating it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gone West said:

I think keeping it warm is a little more important than ventilating it.

Yes, it is the easier way to do it as well..

As I type this, 10:15AM 4th Oct 2022 the dewpoint is only 1.6°C lower than the air temperature, that is what 90% RH does.

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, it is the easier way to do it as well..

As I type this, 10:15AM 4th Oct 2022 the dewpoint is only 1.6°C lower than the air temperature, that is what 90% RH does.

Inside? I hope not!

1 hour ago, Gone West said:

Had to heat my place up to 23C continuously for months to get it to dry out and then the RH dropped from the 70s to the 50s. I think keeping it warm is a little more important than ventilating it.

Hi GW. But it's a timberframe extention, 1 up 1 down, 18months since built. Ventilated every day, front door continually open, door ( goes outside) into the 1 down room also continually open, a workshop. There's no problem at all in the new 1 down room, no mould at all, or rather it's consistently small to parry with the majority of the house's upvc DG window frames.

There is nothing at all to suggest this moisture is a result of the materials within the build 'drying out'. If it had ( a timberframe?) had some wet in the timberframe, 18 months would have seen to this anyway. 

Something odd is happening in this 1 up new room. I can't heat this room to 23* 24/7 for half the year. It's completely out of my budget. Tbh I'm not having the CH on at all this winter, I cannot afford it. But. Even so, with a newbuild extention, regardless of what temp you have it inside, this problematic hugely excessive mould in so short a time... just should not be. Not in a normal situation.  You wouldn't expect it there, if you'd built this there, up to B.Regs standard, as I & the builder have done. You just wouldn't. It shoulldn't be like this.

It's just a question if -why- it's happened. What can be done about it to get rid of it once it innevitably appears is nnothing whatsoever to do with the point in question.

The question is only, only, only, WHY this has happened, in so short a time. My view is the atmosphere is facilitating it ( I know this to be true but there is no way ti proove it, alas). No other theory has been put forward as to why it's happened. Only how to fix it once it appears (irrelevant/ Im not interested in this/ it's not the point).

It's impossible to explain, impossible to keep it on track for the replies just keep saying how to rid it, nothing else; if I can't get through that this is not what I'm asking about... it's a useless waste of time. Mine, yours, all replies.

If someone has a theory as to why it's happened, in so short a time, then this is relevant. ((But fixes of the mould once happened... are not)). I can think it only possibly that 2 factors at play (if I discount the timberframe leeching damp still after 18 months, which is simply implausible to me); the build work I did, & the air facilitating such rapid development of the mould. I've read nothing, of any logic, in the replies, to steer me away from these 2 factors. 2 factors of which i can do nothing about, bar excessively massive dehumidifier engines & de-seeding the clouds with aircraft.. IE Ican do nothing about it. I have to live with it ( tallying precisely, exactly, with us all moaning about having to live with "it" here).

Therefore we agree to disagree is the conclusion I frustratedly have to concede.

Zh

Analogy..

Drive my car & keep hitting potholes. I ask why Im having to keep putting up with punctures on my car from the potholes. The answers are "take it to X & repair it, simple". I say ' but fixing the car isn't the point I'm asking.. I'm asking why the potholes happen'. And another simple wheel fix is proposed. And another.

The point of filling the potholes, to prevent the car getting damaged in the first place, getting increasingly farther & farther away with each proposed reply. Until frustration sets in " just keep putting air in! Simple!"... ."look, just use this tyre, it's thicker so prevents punctures".. "you are driving in the wrong place dummy, tried steering around the potholes?!"(Likes total:8). Farther & farther away. The point by now; lost.

zh

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Therefore we agree to disagree is the conclusion I frustratedly have to concede.

No I don't disagree. I think your comments about it being a timber frame and therefore has dried out is more or less correct except possibly the concrete floor which maybe has never dried out fully and the plasterboard which will hold a certain amount of moisture, I don't know. It's the solution, which unfortunately you aren't able to carry out, which is to drive the moisture out, by heating the fabric of the parts of the building affected. Having the doors open all the time when the outside humidity is high will not improve the situation unfortunately. I guess this is just the time of year when the conditions are at the worst for you.

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

If someone has a theory as to why it's happened, in so short a time, then this is relevant.

My theory is it being a consequence of low temperature and high humidity, local to the affected areas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zoothorn said:

. My view is the atmosphere is facilitating it ( I know this to be true but there is no way ti proove it, alas

Have you looked for a local Weather Underground station. That may help you prove it?

You could of course log your own conditions, but you may have to spend 50 quid to get the kit.

If you did get some decent weather data, and it was not different from mine, what would you do then?

Hi chaps, many thanks for last few replies.

20 hours ago, MJNewton said:

My theory is it being a consequence of low temperature and high humidity, local to the affected areas.

Can't tell you what a relief it is reading this, which sort of tallies with me. This sounds most plausible.

It's a very tricky one, & when I can I'll ask my builder who knows this village very well indeed.. tho a bit reluctant if he starts "you can fix it by dehumidifiers & ventilation" as I think my brain will pop/ gnash my teeth so hard. He likely will too, because fixing stuff is simply a builders' no.1 remit (as opposed to the causes of XYZ, beforehand).

Very patient y'all for reading my spiel/ 6 year frustration with this, I needed to vent it out in words tbh, so affecting & all-encompassing it is to live with it 24/7, 365 days a year.

I'll leave the subject now. Back onto the thread: called up BCO, ready for sign off! Which is fantastic.

Huge help as ever folks, Zoot.

15 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Can't tell you what a relief it is reading this, which sort of tallies with me. This sounds most plausible.

To be fair, isn't this what several others have already suggested?

It's a very tricky one, & when I can I'll ask my builder who knows this village very well indeed.. tho a bit reluctant if he starts "you can fix it by dehumidifiers & ventilation" as I think my brain will pop/ gnash my teeth so hard. He likely will too, because fixing stuff is simply a builders' no.1 remit (as opposed to the causes of XYZ, beforehand).

Very patient y'all for reading my spiel/ 6 year frustration with this, I needed to vent it out in words tbh, so affecting & all-encompassing it is to live with it 24/7, 365 days a year.

I'll leave the subject now. Back onto the thread: called up BCO, ready for sign off! Which is fantastic.

Huge help as ever folks, Zoot.

To be clear; the conclusion I was intending with my theory wasn't to suggest you accept it for what it is but rather that you should look to change the local conditions ('local' meaning inside your house, by your doors, not the locality of village as a whole!) by increasing the temperature of the house, for example.

Edited by MJNewton

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Though a remote Welsh valley was the setting for the post apocalyptic Play For Today, Z For Zachariah. 

Whenever there is a good south westerly blowing, I always think of the Holy Grail.

Sleeping off a supper of 3 tins of pilchards should allow the smell to carry to Wales.

5 hours ago, MJNewton said:

To be fair, isn't this what several others have already suggested?

To be clear; the conclusion I was intending with my theory wasn't to suggest you accept it for what it is but rather that you should look to change the local conditions ('local' meaning inside your house, by your doors, not the locality of village as a whole!) by increasing the temperature of the house, for example.

Your idea here, yes it's what's been suggested until the cows come home. But solutions are -nothing- to do with what I'm asking/ what I'm trying to determine.

I was asking for CAUSES of this moisture, in do short a time, modern materials, up to snuff build work....... ONLY. But this is repeatedly totally lost for folks making suggestion sfter suggestion about solutions ( which does not mean the cause is either known, or can possibly anything done about it).

Saying ' heat the house' is a solution, it's nothing to do with the cause IF by 18 months onward from a new build... any timberframe or block moisture... would have very likely gone by now. (Especially after 2 months of 35*C heat!!). Suggesting heat the house as a solution, is clutching at straws, suggesting there is still moisture in the actual build materials & so I cannot possibly accept this. Sorry but if this is your point, it's only an excuse-answer.

Anyway no more. You just don't believe there's excessive moisture in this local area, when there simply is. Countless facts proove it, consistent with many different properties here, even if you choose to disbelieve them all.

-----

Anyway enough, no more on this.

The answer to the pub quiz Y.Ones question.. was..

Bummer In The Summer, by hippy 60's psychedelic band Love (Neil proclaimed in Summer Holiday episode "Summer is a bummer" clearly a reference). And coincidentally I'm listening to the album it's on right now.

Over & out. Zoot

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Your idea here, yes it's what's been suggested until the cows come home. But solutions are -nothing- to do with what I'm asking/ what I'm trying to determine.

I was asking for CAUSES of this moisture, in do short a time, modern materials, up to snuff build work....... ONLY. But this is repeatedly totally lost for folks making suggestion sfter suggestion about solutions ( which does not mean the cause is either known, or can possibly anything done about it).

Fair enough, but you really need to be clearer with your opening posts as it whilst there wasn't a question mark I read your plea as effectively asking for a solution:

On 29/09/2022 at 16:17, zoothorn said:

it's frying my head trying to comprehend this dissapointing situation which there seems no (feasible) solution to.

All that said the cause and solution are intrinsically linked, and I feel we've given a reasonably likely answer to both so take your pick which (if any!) you want to take.

Edited by MJNewton