1st Floor Wet Room - Timber Frame

bob the builder 2

Yes many ways to do it, just do a bit of research on the type of finish you want. 

Tiles or a tray

all systems are different, so a basic run through is to lift the floor in that room and fit noggins on the sides of joists so your tray, or tray former sit down below floor height, so when you put appropriate floor back the tray is at the lower point. 

Need to look at type of former or tray and look at trap and waste position 

Everything is possible, just look at your finish and work back from there. 

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

Yes.  We did two. We used the Impey wet room shower formers that are 22mm thick and match standard P5 chipboard flooring and the Impey Water Guard tanking system.  Others are available.

I presume you cut out the P5 chipboard where the former went for it to be level with the chipboard?

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

Also worth noting the Impey Waterguard membrane is also a decoupling membrane so you can just tile onto it.

You need more arms than Vishnu to fit it without wrinkles :D . Bloody sticky stuff, but ridiculously bombproof, and excellent for a 1st floor install. Get more of it if funds allow and finish the room, with upstands, to get it utterly waterproofed.

Is it 610? The stuff Impey give you in a mastic tube? It is the anti-Christ of sealants, and is STILL on some old combats and STILL wet / tacky to the touch!

23 hours ago, bob the builder 2 said:

Hi All

Just looking at the bathrooms on the 1st floor of our timber frame

It is posi joists and decking at the moment and i am trying to confirm if it can achieve a wet room with sunken shower trays 

Many thanks for your experiences (good and bad!)

bob  

They wont be “sunken” unless you have specified the posi-joists accordingly. Removing the deck board 22-24mm typical for P5 or Egger, and fitting an insert wetroom former will bring you flush to the existing floor.

If you do not use the Waterguard system then you’ll need a 6mm ply binder to tile onto. Just remember to fit the same thickness ply under the former to raise it up to suit ;)  

Edited by Nickfromwales

The majority of the ‘nuisance’ sound / noise will be from the water hitting the tray / floor. Acoustic insulation under there is a good idea, plus any discharge pipework can be sound deadened if over a bedroom. 

9B90AEA0-1609-4DD6-A9FA-EDCE4880D5C3.thumb.jpeg.9a8fbc681fd6fcdab80b6b8b520028cd.jpeg15687EDD-5BBF-49D4-9901-58ED78732832.thumb.jpeg.3d58d6f4d4405561e328c29180d0fdf9.jpeg

Current clients new build, where I used Killmat over the waste and soil pipes.

Takes a lot of the high frequency noise ( sound of water tricking ) away. As I’m doing a turnkey whole of house service I know I’ll be on the hook for any “issues”, so I’ve gone belt and 2 braces on the 1st floor bathrooms and the music / piano room to keep things as ‘quiet’ as possible. 🤞

• Like 1

FYI. I had another layer of acoustic insulation installed between the posi joists before the plasterboard went on, so 150mm total between the 2 layers. 

For your instance, there likely won’t be much sound escaping ‘sideways’ so best focus on where the issue actually resides. ;)