Building Regs requirement for height of balustrade fixed to parapet

LnP

I'm creating a roof terrace on a single storey flat roof which is about 2800 mm agl. There is a parapet wall around the edge of the roof with copings on top and I want to fix the balustrade onto the copings. The finished height of the parapet incl. copings is 260 mm. According to Building Regs Part K2 Diagram 3.1, the height of the balustrade should be 1100 mm, and I would like the balustrade to be 1100 mm above the flat roof surface. That means an 840 mm balustrade on top of the parapet. Building Regs also says, "To prevent children from readily being able to climb the guarding: avoid horizontal rails". Do I have to consider that a child might stand on the parapet, in which case to maintain the 1100 mm, the balustrade would have to be 1360 mm above the roof surface?

I'd prefer to keep the height of the balustrade to be 1100 mm over the roof surface. At 1360 mm it will feel like being an animal behind bars at the zoo.

Thanks

Edited by LnP

• 3 weeks later...

All good advice thanks. I'm going to fix the balustrade to the inside of the parapet wall to give the full 1100mm without a step and also greater assurance of the strength of the fixing.

• Like 1