Grundfos UPS2 speed selector not working

DannyG

Hi all

As the colder weather has hit and the heating has come on a couple of times, I've noticed a couple of the furthest radiators are not heating up very well.

I went to turn up the pump speed but noticed the selector button isn't working at all (no lights are even on). The pump is obviously working though as we're getting heat to the rest of the rads, which is odd.

Any idea as to to why this might be?

grundfos.png

2 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Have you tried bleeding the rads?  Start with the basics.  If they were ok last year why would you need to bump up the speed.

Yes the rads have been bled and I've taken the thermostatic valves off and checked the pins are moving freely. The room not heating well is in a fairly old extension that hasn't been used for a few years besides for storage (extra baby has required it become a bedroom over the summer). It never got warm in there but it wasn't an issue previously.

1 hour ago, DannyG said:

Hi all

As the colder weather has hit and the heating has come on a couple of times, I've noticed a couple of the furthest radiators are not heating up very well.

I went to turn up the pump speed but noticed the selector button isn't working at all (no lights are even on). The pump is obviously working though as we're getting heat to the rest of the rads, which is odd.

Any idea as to to why this might be?

grundfos.png

Remove centre cap with flat screwdriver observe if inside is going round.

Hi @ dannyg

20220919_192210.thumb.jpg.66884f31b16e38da4e6497a1607cd5ec.jpg

A little water will come out. If its spinning put the cap back in. Pump working. If you get a lot of bubbles from the hole then air in pump.

Next thing to check would be the set up you have re port valves and then messing with rads. What's your result?

Edited by Marvin
Clarification

Common problem is sludge settling out in the summer and blocking pipes. If the new pump doesn't fix things try turning off all rads that get hot so water is forced through the cold ones. Each time a new rad gets hot shut it off. Repeat until they have all been hot at least once then you can reopen them. Once it's all been stirred up I'd drain and flush the system a few times. When happy it's all working put the right amount of Fernox F1 in the system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyG said:

On further investigation it looks like the pump is not working at all and perhaps never has. I'm perplexed at how the whole house apart from two radiators have been getting heat for the last few winters!

New pump incoming.

Before ordering a new pump and booking the plumber, check that electrical power is reaching the pump. It might be an electrical problem.