Do we need planning permission to replace this?

CotswoldDoItUpper

We have a 25+ year old lean-to greenhouse attached to the house. It’s falling apart and we’d like to replace it and make it a part of the house. I know we’ll need to comply with building regs etc. but do we need planning? It’s on the boundary to a footpath and measures aprox 4m x 2.5m with a ridge height of aprox 3m. If it makes any difference, we’re covered by Stroud district planning department.

it’s currently full of junk and could be a useful space for us! 

Thanks for advice and guidence!image.thumb.jpg.729db50775b6fed6d692c9acb6f31989.jpg

Thanks for the reply @DevilDamo. I think it wouldn’t come under PD, as it’s on the front of our house, and we’re in an area of outstanding natural beauty (ANOB). 

I don’t know if there are different rules about replacing long standing existing structures or putting solid roof on a conservatory sort of thing that this would fit into. 

If I were a planning officer, I would sway heavily in favour of allowing a properly built replacement extension to replace that "not very pretty" conservatory.  Knowing that if a nice replacement was refused, that ugly thing would just remain there.

So on that basis I would just submit a planning application for what you want.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Thanks @ProDave and @markc. Do you think we’d need permission, or could we just remove it and replace? 

I would put an application in, can’t see it being refused and then you know everything is above board and there will be no complaints or objections (it’s amazing how complainers come out of nowhere when they see someone getting something nice

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Thanks for the reply @DevilDamo. I think it wouldn’t come under PD, as it’s on the front of our house, and we’re in an area of outstanding natural beauty (ANOB). 

I don’t know if there are different rules about replacing long standing existing structures or putting solid roof on a conservatory sort of thing that this would fit into. 

So you’ve answered your own question in terms of Planning. A replacement structure is determined as it being a new build. Technically, any upgrade works you carry out to it would still require Planning as the structure itself doesn’t meet PD. Don’t know how or why you’d even consider trying to upgrade that either.

If we took the structure and then applied for planning in the future, would that likely make it more difficult?

I’m apprehensive of an application as I don’t want to spend hundreds (or even thousands) on someone to draw up the required plans. Surely there is a way to do it without the reems of paperwork? It’s only going to cost about £10k max to build I think!

4 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

If we took the structure and then applied for planning in the future, would that likely make it more difficult?

I’m apprehensive of an application as I don’t want to spend hundreds (or even thousands) on someone to draw up the required plans. Surely there is a way to do it without the reems of paperwork? It’s only going to cost about £10k max to build I think!

Why would you need to spend hundred or thousands on a planning application?

As you are not looking to make it any bigger etc. take a few pics and put those in with the application …. A couple of hours of your time.

Search for proof that it has been there for years and years.

Don't take it down unless you don't care about replacing it or not. 

The act of applying is not that onerous. Familiarise yourself with what you need to provide what is required by your council.

@markc has a good point about the pictures. However dimensions are important too.

if you feel that the greenhouse lowers the roadside appeal with your neighbours properties then take further photos showing the street facing your home.

Here's a good start to guide you as to what the planning department will want:

https://www.stroud.gov.uk/environment/planning-and-building-control/apply-for-planning-permission/pre-application-advice-and-enquiries

In my humble opinion, the feeling I have is that permission would not be given for several reasons and that the way I would approach is by giving rise to visual improvement which means not only replacing the greenhouse but also by having the external finishes exactly the same as the front of the rest of the building.

I don't think you can be made to take it down because of how long it's been there and I'm sure others here will confirm this point.

Good luck

Marvin

Edited by Marvin
Clarification
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, markc said:

Why would you need to spend hundred or thousands on a planning application?

As you are not looking to make it any bigger etc. take a few pics and put those in with the application …. A couple of hours of your time.

Do I not need someone to draw up the following to scale on a3 paper/PDF?

site plan

block plan

existing plan

existing elevations

existing section

proposed plan

proposed elevations

proposed sections

proposed finishes

proposed windows/doors

design and access statement 

and anything else I’ve missed?!? 

You will not need all that. As a minimum, you would need…

- Location Plan

- Block/Site Plan

- Existing Plan(s)

- Existing Elevations

- Proposed Plan(s)

- Proposed Elevations

Speak to and engage a qualified professional who will advise and guide you through the fees, processes and timescales…

https://architecturaltechnology.com/find-a-practice.html

Edited by DevilDamo

I would contact planning, speak to someone and see what they think or feel. Have a couple of photos and your proposal to replace with something that isn’t an eyesore and rubbish collecting area and you may find they are happy with you to get on with it. If they do want a formal application then ask what they will expect as a minimum.

I think I would apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness for the existing building on the grounds that it's been there more than 4 years. That would allow you to replace it with something similar. Then submit a Planning Application for something better looking. Do not take it down or allow it to fall down before you have planning permission for what you want.

2 hours ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Do I not need someone to draw up the following to scale on a3 paper/PDF?

site plan

block plan

existing plan

existing elevations

proposed plan

proposed elevations

proposed finishes

You can draw these yourself without too much trouble, there are a few free drawing programs that you can download and do this in a few evenings. They only need to be 2D line drawings, have a look at inkscape.

The site plan and block plan you have to buy from a licensed mapping company, I used buy a plan.

Do your local council do pre application planning advise? Some councils do some dont, probably worth trying that and seeing if they raise any objections.