Another From The North Of Ireland (and a hell of a lot more information and self-build chat.)

Guest Alphonsox

23 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

Yes they definitely talk a good story.  It looks great polished also though swmbo isn't convinced.

On another note you got your slate from slate supplies, which one did you put on? I was impressed with the quality of their slate at the show.

500 x 250mm Western Natural

Roofers said there were a few not great ones in the pallets but i would say thats true for all kinds.

I have a pallet left over and a good few slate and a half if you go for them.

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

What way did your arch at your front door end up Dee??

Did end up going with Baskil??

Hasn't got anything on it yet.  Have the windows in the rest of the house, not where i'm putting the stone.  

Still on the fence about what door to go with.  Baskil dont seem able provide a composite door in the arch style so will have probably go elsewhere.

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 22:27, vfrdave said:

Be interesting to hear how you get on with this, have heard of long drying time though that was without UFH to assist. The cemfloor stuff I referred to, which was also at the show @JohnW, is a different composition being cement based and very quick drying times.

Thanks @vfrdave, did notice the cemfloor stand but didn't have the wit to talk to them!!

I thought the show was good, but to be honest it has raised more questions than answers for me...questions that will of hopefully be answered somewhere in this forum at some stage.

4 hours ago, DeeJunFan said:

500 x 250mm Western Natural

Roofers said there were a few not great ones in the pallets but i would say thats true for all kinds.

I have a pallet left over and a good few slate and a half if you go for them.

Can't decide between western and manor. Both were still better than other slates on display at the show. Not sure what they are like price wise yet.

On 22/02/2017 at 15:23, Declan52 said:

The house that 100k built tonight is about a couple from Antrim. If nothing else we will find out where to buy all the weird stuff piers usually tries to use.

Anyone see this, i forgot. will try and watch it on iplayer later.

On 13/02/2017 at 19:14, vfrdave said:

Any of the NI contingent used the new liquid screed offering by CES Quarry

What are the advantages of this over sand and cement?

just a quicker drying time? would sand/cement have a similar thermal conductivity? (the cemfloor being 2.9W/m.k)

and would anyone have a rough price comparison for sand/cement?

thanks

2 minutes ago, JamieM said:

just a quicker drying time? would sand/cement have a similar thermal conductivity? (the cemfloor being 2.9W/m.k)

thanks

For my wife its the self levelling appeal.  She hates the though of anything being out of level.

They quoted me roughly £15 per m/2 for the Cemfloor

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JamieM said:

thanks

The RTU guy who gave a talk at the Self Build show said the Ultraflo screed (similar to the Cemfloor) would cost "around £14/m2".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DeeJunFan said:

roughly £15 per m/2 for the Cemfloor

what depth of screed will you have? and i assume it was for the cemfloor for the underfloor heating?

we currently have 100mm in our plans on top of 125mm insulation

8 minutes ago, JohnW said:

Ultraflo screed (similar to the Cemfloor) would cost "around £14/m2"

similar question to above - did he mention what depth this was for?

6 minutes ago, JamieM said:

what depth of screed will you have? and i assume it was for the cemfloor for the underfloor heating?

I believe the cemfloor is normally installed at about 50mm depth. Check out their facebook page for loads of installation photos 

14 minutes ago, JamieM said:

RTU guy said it only needed to be 50mm and it was for UFH

Edited by JohnW

7 minutes ago, vfrdave said:

s normally installed at about 50mm depth.

5 minutes ago, JohnW said:

RTU guy said it only needed to be 50mm

OK, so I'd need to add another 50mm insulation when comparing pricing. cheers

Yeah 50mm was the depth the recommended.

I got a quote from RTU also and they gave a price slightly over £14 p m/2 but they also had included in the quote that any additional screed used would be charged at around £260 per m/3 and the rep said that it was likely there may be some over run.

The Cemfloor guy said they do a fixed price quote so they come out and survey and the price they give is the final price. 

I personally wouldn't go with the other liquid screed given the drying time and adhesion issues so its the Cemfloor or sand & cement for me.  Still not 100% decided so i will ask a few tilers and a guy i know does Terazzo to see what they think.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeeJunFan said:

I personally wouldn't go with the other liquid screed given the drying time and adhesion issues so its the Cemfloor or sand & cement for me.  Still not 100% decided so i will ask a few tilers and a guy i know does Terazzo to see what they think.

I had always just planned on sand and cement too.  was just curious of the different options and price difference.

When I priced mine up I sent that ces quarry the volume I needed and they gave me a price for both the liquid type and sand cement. As Dee says if they where a 1m3 short you paid a high price to get another small amount.

In the end I got a local guy who laid my sand cement mix but put an additive in to speed up the drying process. Of hand I think I paid £1300 for the complete job of 14m3 with £200 of that the additive.

• Like 1

Mine was only 75mm thick. And it was 3 years ago as well!! 

I take it that the new cemfloor type screed is basically a liquid screed but without the problems associated with the older types. 

I think if I had to choose again I would still go for sand  cement screed as it's the tried and tested method with little issues if laid correctly. From cold my screed takes about 90mins before you start to feel any heat on your feet but it will stay warm after the stats turn the heating of for close on 3hrs. A deeper screed will take longer to heat up but longer to cool down so a 50 mm liquid screed will heat up quicker but also cool down quicker. It's a tough choice to make. Glad all I have to worry about is what flowers to plant in the garden.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Mine was only 75mm thick. And it was 3 years ago as well!! 

I take it that the new cemfloor type screed is basically a liquid screed but without the problems associated with the older types. 

I think if I had to choose again I would still go for sand  cement screed as it's the tried and tested method with little issues if laid correctly. From cold my screed takes about 90mins before you start to feel any heat on your feet but it will stay warm after the stats turn the heating of for close on 3hrs. A deeper screed will take longer to heat up but longer to cool down so a 50 mm liquid screed will heat up quicker but also cool down quicker. It's a tough choice to make. Glad all I have to worry about is what flowers to plant in the garden.

Whats a garden?

• Like 1

We've had our house rendered approx 3 weeks ago and the scaffolding down yesterday but i am noticing the lines of the blockwork showing through the render.

I assume this is as the render and blockwork is still drying out, but has anyone had any issue with this before?

2 minutes ago, Weegaz said:

We've had our house rendered approx 3 weeks ago and the scaffolding down yesterday but i am noticing the lines of the blockwork showing through the render.

I assume this is as the render and blockwork is still drying out, but has anyone had any issue with this before?

What render did you use?

K-Rend sent me a very good document about it i will fish it out and attach here.  There are many different reasons, causes and appearances.  Much more than i had thought.   It may give you a good steer.