Been told this is one of the worst roofing jobs they've ever seen...

Nrm5190

Unfortunately my old man has had some cowboys in to refelt and batten his roof, as well as a few other minor repairs, he now wants a Velux installed and the new roofer was absolutely shocked at the previous workmanship, take a look for yourselves...

I've got a tonne more pictures, but it exceeded the file size.

At a bit of a loss as what to do next to be honest, so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I just need some validation that it's so bad I can laugh instead of cry.

Screenshot_20220831-064448_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20220831-064445_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20220831-064442_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20220831-064438_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20220831-064433_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20220831-064430_WhatsApp.jpg

• Sad 2

This post makes grim viewing and reading.  Its the sort of thing that brings the sector into (further) disrepute.

It also underlines the importance of doing thorough Due Diligence.

But, if you're old, living on your own ...... arggghhhh.

Are the guys who did this known locally ? I really hope they haven't been paid ............

• Like 1

Sadly this happens too often especially when choosing on price. A few of my customers have built their businesses on going around putting bodge jobs right and that often costing more than the highest quote in the first place

1 hour ago, markc said:

Sadly this happens too often especially when choosing on price. A few of my customers have built their businesses on going around putting bodge jobs right and that often costing more than the highest quote in the first place

Yup, always cheaper to do a job properly first time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

This post makes grim viewing and reading.  Its the sort of thing that brings the sector into (further) disrepute.

It also underlines the importance of doing thorough Due Diligence.

But, if you're old, living on your own ...... arggghhhh.

Are the guys who did this known locally ? I really hope they haven't been paid ............

Known locally yes, my Dad basically just let them crack on with the job without getting a quote. They took £18,000 off him for this... I told them its shit and they've been out twice to 'fix' it, and now finally have admitted its a terrible job and they'll do anything to make it right. Naturally I've lost all confidence in their ability to do so. I'm actually concerned about letting them have another bash at it, but I genuinely don't think it could get much worse. 

Oh my God that is awful. I am so sorry for your Dad.  He was not to know that it would turn out like this. I would report it to trading standards first then ask on the facebook group Band of Builders if there is anyone in the area that can help. 

7 minutes ago, Canski said:

and some by the time it is rectified. Has he still got their details ? 

I've got their details and been in touch with them, they came and fixed a minor leak. The 'boss' then called me when i sent him these photos and apologised unreservedly and offered to make everything good, blamed it on a subbie etc etc, a load of b****ocks and not holding my breath. 

1 minute ago, Nrm5190 said:

I've got their details and been in touch with them, they came and fixed a minor leak. The 'boss' then called me when i sent him these photos and apologised unreservedly and offered to make everything good, blamed it on a subbie etc etc, a load of b****ocks and not holding my breath. 

It would be even better if you could get it in writing.

1 minute ago, Canski said:

It would be even better if you could get it in writing.

Yeah good idea, I'll do my best. Looks like a tinpot company online. He said they rely massively on word of mouth for work so hopefully I've got a bit of leverage. 

14 minutes ago, Canski said:

Oh my God that is awful. I am so sorry for your Dad.  He was not to know that it would turn out like this. I would report it to trading standards first then ask on the facebook group Band of Builders if there is anyone in the area that can help. 

Just saw this comment, thank you, I will do that. 

27 minutes ago, Nrm5190 said:

Well you’ve got it in writing .

Personally I would get to new quotes to fix this ( from companies you know are good ) . Also get them to write what is wrong I.e why it’s a shit job .

Then if current company does nothing you have 2 new quotes and get it done properly whilst starting small claims court proceedings .

(expletive deleted)ing disgusting - subbie was blind and no arms I presume .

Edited by pocster

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Well you’ve got it in writing .

Personally I would get to new quotes to fix this ( from companies you know are good ) . Also get them to write what is wrong I.e why it’s a shit job .

Then if current company does nothing you have 2 new quotes and get it done properly whilst starting small claims court proceedings .

(expletive deleted)ing disgusting - subbie was blind and no arms I presume .

Yeah good idea, a couple of other people have recommended the same thing... nightmare mate. The 'boss' who blamed on it on their 2nd string/subbie i was like well why the **** did you use them, plus their 'a team' have been out twice to fix issues, you'd think they'd notice the glaringly obvious other issues but he told me they wouldnt notice unless they were specifically looking for them haha. The worst part (i think) is that my old mans been ripped off before by **** roofers, and they knew this yet still took advantage..

4 hours ago, Nrm5190 said:

Unfortunately my old man has had some cowboys in to refelt and batten his roof, as well as a few other minor repairs, he now wants a Velux installed and the new roofer was absolutely shocked at the previous workmanship, take a look for yourselves...

I've got a tonne more pictures, but it exceeded the file size.

At a bit of a loss as what to do next to be honest, so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I just need some validation that it's so bad I can laugh instead of cry.

What a mess, the sad thing is that I have seen really bad DIYers make a better job than these total pond-dwellers. It looks like they really don't know anything about roofing at all.

Just now, Carrerahill said:

What a mess, the sad thing is that I have seen really bad DIYers make a better job than these total pond-dwellers. It looks like they really don't know anything about roofing at all.

I genuinely could've done a better job myself, the 'cladding' they used on the dormer rear and front is untreated pine, they didn't put any beading around the windows at first, was a 2 inch gap exposed to all the elements