Been told this is one of the worst roofing jobs they've ever seen...

Nrm5190

Just now, Nrm5190 said:

Cheap TV and w*****s like my roofer to keep them going, lovely job... Maybe I'll reach out... 

Out of a matter of interest, why did they offer just to re-felt and batten? Not just replace the roof at that stage? It strikes me as odd that the membrane needed done but the tiles were OK or had someone retiled without a re-batten and felt at some point?

5 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Out of a matter of interest, why did they offer just to re-felt and batten? Not just replace the roof at that stage? It strikes me as odd that the membrane needed done but the tiles were OK or had someone retiled without a re-batten and felt at some point?

Honestly not sure, my dad had some work done to the roof a few years prior. Could've been what you said yeah. They constantly badmouthed the previous roofers work though!

If you want to win in court you have to give them "opportunity to rectify". That normally means writing to them recorded delivery at their registered address (I'd hit every address you can find) giving them a date to sort it by. Perhaps two weeks. Otherwise a claim might get thrown out. I would do some research online about what you need to do to satisfy a court before you get any work done.

• Like 2

No need for recorded delivery, they can refuse to sign if they have an idea what's in the letter.

https://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/legal/guidance/if-a-document-is-sent-by-first-class-recorded-post-but-the-respondent-was-not-in-to-sign-for-it-fails

CPR 6.14 states that a claim form served within the UK is deemed to be served on the second business day after completion of the ‘relevant step’ under CPR 7.5.

So instead first class stamp over the counter and ask for free proof of posting, it's then deemed delivered 2 working days later.

Because of nuances like this get a solicitor to write the letter, they will include terms such as 'time is of the essence in this matter' which the Judge will take as a final deadline being set.

Edited by kommando
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kommando said:

No need for recorded delivery, they can refuse to sign if they have an idea what's in the letter.

https://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/legal/guidance/if-a-document-is-sent-by-first-class-recorded-post-but-the-respondent-was-not-in-to-sign-for-it-fails

CPR 6.14 states that a claim form served within the UK is deemed to be served on the second business day after completion of the ‘relevant step’ under CPR 7.5.

So instead first class stamp over the counter and ask for free proof of posting, it's then deemed delivered 2 working days later.

Because of nuances like this get a solicitor to write the letter, they will include terms such as 'time is of the essence in this matter' which the Judge will take as a final deadline being set.

Correct . Exactly the same for a landlord eviction notice .

What I do is send signed for 

Send normal post with a proof of posting receipt 

And sometimes video myself delivering it by hand 

A judge then is more than happy that any paperwork ( actioned or ignored ) was delivered .

Overkill for a court case is always the best tactic .

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

It is still very much worth it as at least *you* know it has been delivered.

No it does not work that way, cowboy outfits know not to sign so no delivery is recorded so you end up having to send first class with free proof of delivery. As soon as you use recorded there must be a signature, no signature not proof it got there.

7 minutes ago, kommando said:

No it does not work that way, cowboy outfits know not to sign so no delivery is recorded so you end up having to send first class with free proof of delivery. As soon as you use recorded there must be a signature, no signature not proof it got there

The tracking info would indicate the delivery attempt. 

There's no such thing as free proof of delivery. Are you thinking of proof of postage? (Which as you say is good enough for the courts, but personally I'd want to be confident it actually got to the other end just in case it really had got lost).