'Access' in Design & Access Statement

Alan Ambrose

Hi,

Quick question - I'm none the wiser after reading some sample D&A statements and reading the 2013 text (below). Exactly what does 'access' mean - highways & visibility splays? disabled? bus routes and bike storage? I'm not seeing any definition in the 2013 text either...

For instance, in this v. useful thread,

How a planner got planning permission.

- the example D&A statement mentions 'Footpath access' and 'Vehicle and pedestrian access' and 'appropriate access arrangements'. It does mention 'wheelchair' once, but not I think enough to explain design criteria for disabled users.

Anyone throw any light? For instance, in (3) (d) below it talks about 'consultation'. Regarding my visibility splays !?!?

Alan

(2) An application for planning permission to which this article applies shall be accompanied by a statement (“a design and access statement”) about—
   (a) the design principles and concepts that have been applied to the development; and
   (b) how issues relating to access to the development have been dealt with.
(3) A design and access statement shall—
   (a) explain the design principles and concepts that have been applied to the development;
   (b) demonstrate the steps taken to appraise the context of the development and how the design of the development takes that context into account;
   (c) explain the policy adopted as to access, and how policies relating to access in relevant local development documents have been taken into account;
   (d) state what, if any, consultation has been undertaken on issues relating to access to the development and what account has been taken of the outcome of any such consultation; and
   (e) explain how any specific issues which might affect access to the development have been addressed.

Applications need to be compliant with building regs and local policy so that may be visibility splays, pathways or whatever they require, so part of the process is the roads dept pass comment on your application to make sure where your development meets the public road,  it’s safe.  

that’s the case in Scotland anyway.  Also includes things like not having driveway gravel at that boundary, bin store etc etc.  things like that.  

Look at previously submitted successful applications in your area.

Edited by Bozza

7 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Exactly what does 'access' mean - highways & visibility splays? disabled? bus routes and bike storage?

Include parking as well and that should cover it I would have thought.

Do you need to do one?  They're only really for bigger developments and listed building work I think.  I did one years ago for a listed building application, and the 'access' part wasn't more than a paragraph from memory.

Think ours was just a paragraph saying access to the highway would be in same position as existing field gate.

Think there was also a paragraph about access to shops and public services public eg doctors surgery available in next village, and primary school with spaces in another. Shops in a third. No known problems with traffic on local roads.

There was one bus a week from the other side of the village which allowed us to say there was a bus service but I think that stopped before we finished building it.

Where I am (East Suffolk), it seems that everyone normally files them. The ones I've seen seem to be of very variable quality and I'm not necessarily sure what they're getting at. And Tony K (planner by profession) did a very comprehensive one (see link above) and seemed to imply they were important ...."I read the relevant planning policies, designed a development that was in line with them, then demonstrated as much in the application". So, I'm inclined to a good job of it :)

Alan

2 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Where I am (East Suffolk), it seems that everyone normally files them. The ones I've seen seem to be of very variable quality and I'm not necessarily sure what they're getting at. And Tony K (planner by profession) did a very comprehensive one (see link above) and seemed to imply they were important ...."I read the relevant planning policies, designed a development that was in line with them, then demonstrated as much in the application". So, I'm inclined to a good job of it :)

Our architect prepared a comprehensive design and access statement to accompany our application (Waverley Borough Council). I don't know what impact it had, but we went straight to allowance, despite replacing a small bungalow with a large two-storey house with flat roof (which I know Waverley hate, because one of the senior planners said as much when I visited them before starting the process).

As you say, it focuses the planner's mind on how the various planning requirements are met, plus adds a bit of colour and context. For example, I very much doubt that it hurts if the planner learns you're building a high quality, low-energy, family home as a long term resident, rather than being a developer trying to build something as cheaply as possible.

• 4 weeks later...