Hi I wanted to put this in the rendering plastering trades section but couldn't click on that topic title for some reason.

Has anyone rendered onto external polystyrene insulation?

Its actually the base of my founds an EPS insulated raft.

The two products i'm looking at are

Aquabase EWI 226 a silicone render system with a fiberglass mesh

or

a cement slurry aquamat elastic with either 10cm polyestewr fleece or fiberglass mesh

Anyone done this before and got any advice on either product or covered their EPS RAFT base in anything else that worked well?

Cheers

2 hours ago, Highland build said:

Anyone done this before and got any advice on either product or covered their EPS RAFT base in anything else that worked well?

I stuck brick slips on mine, and five years later they were still there when I sold it.

• Haha 1

Have you got any photos @Gone West and what are brick slips?

Brick slips are slices of brick 10mm to 15mm thick which can be stuck to various substrates to give the effect of a solid brick wall. It certainly works as everyone thought our brick slips were whole bricks.

https://www.wbs-ltd.co.uk/systems-solutions/system-finishes/15mm-brick-slips/

On the area under the porch glazing I stuck the brick slips directly to the EPS using gel PU glue. On the area under the front door you can see the EPS which was covered by the ramp up to the door. On the rest of the brick plinth the brick slips were attached using the Wetherby system on to BluClad board.

P1160002.thumb.JPG.a2386bdc2c414bd2b3e8180d4d9e38ae.JPG

PB270009.thumb.JPG.596d4930ecf09d09b90d889cbb4122e7.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Highland build said:

Hi I wanted to put this in the rendering plastering trades section but couldn't click on that topic title for some reason.

Has anyone rendered onto external polystyrene insulation?

Its actually the base of my founds an EPS insulated raft.

The two products i'm looking at are

Aquabase EWI 226 a silicone render system with a fiberglass mesh

or

a cement slurry aquamat elastic with either 10cm polyestewr fleece or fiberglass mesh

Cheers

We had our Kore Insulated Foundation perimeter rendered with EWI-050 Mosaic, this is their below DPC product. This was about two months ago.

https://ewistore.co.uk/shop/external-wall-insulation/mosaic-render-ewi-050-25kg/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

hi @Nick Laslett So did you do the basecoat and the mesh and then the mosaic render over the top as a second coat?

@Gone Westthose brick slips look amazing was yours isoquick base?

Yes. Base coat, mesh, acrylic primer then mosaic.

EWI-225 Premium Basecoat

Orange Fibreglass Mesh

EWI-330 Acrylic Primer

EWI-050 Mosaic Render

Here is the EWIPro technical drawing for the below ground build up. 

https://ewipro.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/4-Base-profile-with-an-insulated-plinth-and-insulation-system-installed-below-ground-level-1.pdf

They spec EWI-226 Aquabase in this drawing. 

Our renderers specified the EWI-225 Premium basecoat for the walls and the below DPC foundation surround. I never questioned if we needed something different for the foundation. Looking at the spec sheets, EWI-225 is also frost resistant and water resistant. Not sure if the Aquabase is cheaper?

Edited by Nick Laslett

I think EWI-226 Aquabase is preferred for XPS and EWI-225 Premium is preferred for EPS. The Aquabase is more expensive. 

I also found the NSAI certificate, which I find a better read than the BBA equivalent. 

https://www.nsai.ie/images/uploads/certification-agrement/21_0428_EWI_Pro_External_Insulation_Systems.pdf

*Edit timeout, or I would have added this to the earlier post. 

Edited by Nick Laslett
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Highland build said:

@Nick Laslett

Brilliant I've got ten bags of the aquabase 226 and the mesh and corner beads delivered so I'm gonna just go for a coat of that and see what it looks like if the colours too dark for me apparently you can paint it with silicone based paint.

I'll get some before and after pics and see for the group.

Cheers

Maddie

It won’t be dark, it dries a very light grey colour. 

You really need the mosaic on top as the base is not very attractive, unless you can get a sponge finish on it. 

• Like 1