Size of weatherproof box required for temp supply

catrionag

Does anyone have an idea what sort of size of weatherproof box would be needed for a temporary electric supply? It needs to house the mains fuse and meter. We're getting hooked up on the 12th September so trying to get all our ducks in a row and making sure we have the right setup for when they come to connect us up.

SPEN are being a bit vague about it when asked, but I don't want to end up with a box that's massively over or under-sized.

Edited by catrionag

I’ve seen folk use standard meter boxes screwed to a post for temporary supplies. There’s nothing stopping you making this a permanent supply point though and then running SWA to your house. It’s what I’ve done mounted inside a GRP kiosk. 

BCA49C4C-9D25-444B-AEA3-3CE73620F993.thumb.jpeg.6d3e56c1cd349c96db81ee63f32a64f0.jpeg9F679C57-1A16-4A6F-BF56-9E7B938F1AF1.thumb.jpeg.eb57bc4769424122bbcf710ff425d2e5.jpeg

• Like 1

I used a “in wall” meter box on a couple of posts near where it was going to go in the garage wall, when the DNO brought the cable to it I asked for a bit of slack (bribed them with tea and biscuits) and when the garage wall went up I swung it into the wall. Temporary supply to the caravan and sockets for the builders and heavy duty cable into the house ready for later, no additional costs 👍

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Conor said:

Then you'll need a kiosk to the DNOs specification and room for a full sized back board. You can buy prefab GRP boxes that are the right size.

+1 get the spec from your DNO.  You can sometimes deviate a little as the guys doing the connection are not jobsworths.  Our DNO spec called for a concrete base but we did wall mounted as the ground had a fair amount to make up and we need to route further cables in future.  The days of mounting a meter box on a couple of 2 x 2s are over.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 16/08/2022 at 10:14, catrionag said:

Thanks all! This is really helpful - much appreciated.

Hi - did you find out what size/set up you needed for your temporary electric supply from SPEN? Would you have a photo you could share please?

We are in a similar position - they have said "must be of a suitable size to allow the cablehead, it must be wind and water tight and also lockable. This can be built on-site or shop bought and installed."

Many thanks

I used 2 standard flush meter boxes some posts and timber cladding.

This is now our permanenet supply, no point paying to move it.  It is close to our parking area so will be easy to add car charging point(s) from there when the need arises.

1581970517_electricitysupply.thumb.jpg.b10ae485699455656648548d70429606.jpg

On 10/02/2023 at 15:35, Kelvin said:

Didn’t you get a guide with your quote showing you the size? 

Could you make the temp supply your permanent supply point? 

I've now got a diagram which says 700 x 500 x 200 with 750 front access

On 10/02/2023 at 19:11, Jenki said:

You need to check the size required. But you can get a wiska WDB7 IP65 lockable box that is 600 X 400x200 for around £40. 

But surface mount meter boxes are not much dearer.

https://tewltd.co.uk/product/wiska-wdb-8-distribution-board-700-x-500-x-250-grey-door-50107063/

Of course it's the biggest one...... do you know if they come with a meter board?

On 10/02/2023 at 16:41, ProDave said:

I used 2 standard flush meter boxes some posts and timber cladding.

This is now our permanenet supply, no point paying to move it.  It is close to our parking area so will be easy to add car charging point(s) from there when the need arises.

1581970517_electricitysupply.thumb.jpg.b10ae485699455656648548d70429606.jpg

We are demolishing an existing house and the new one is right on the boundary.....so the temp supply is in a place that may look weird when the new house is built. But we'll decide once we come to that - good point re car charging. Did you just divide your box in 2?

Where did you put the actual sockets to be used during the build?

Many thanks everyone - demo is in 4 weeks so panicking a little with all the moving parts at the moment....the most nerve wracking - hoping EDF turn up to remove the gas smart meter

2 hours ago, Meabh said:

I've now got a diagram which says 700 x 500 x 200 with 750 front access

https://tewltd.co.uk/product/wiska-wdb-8-distribution-board-700-x-500-x-250-grey-door-50107063/

Of course it's the biggest one...... do you know if they come with a meter board.

At this price, you might as well buy a meter box for £65.

Edited by Jenki