Simple solar thermal

Jilly

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

Was it early 70s as it does not jog any memory.

73 onwards - I think it was to be ITV's answer to Dr, Who but didn't really cut it. I watched it a bit. For slightly younger people I think.

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

As I've said before the Yanks have been using pex to make bfo collectors for years.

https://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PoolHeating/TomCollector/TomPEXCollector.htm

You have indeed.  

Given the costs in that link being a decade old, and the costy of the kits posted by the OP, it probably not much to be gained doing it entirely yourself. No wood used in them either, just plastic,glass and aluminimum. So should be good long term.

However, id like to see how it compares to a diy flat panel in terms of output.

I like it though. Now what to use it for.

10 hours ago, Roger440 said:

You have indeed.  

Given the costs in that link being a decade old, and the costy of the kits posted by the OP, it probably not much to be gained doing it entirely yourself.

22 hours ago, Jilly said:

I love this simple solar thermal kit that really doesn't look to shabby. Conventional ones are a silly price.

https://www.solariskit.com/store

But you need at least 6 of the solar collectors linked to give 70% saving in DHW in July.  So realistically you could have 9 or 10, so are over £1k just for panels, which is in the 30 evacuated tube price range.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, joe90 said:

My workshop metal roof is scorching hot, shame to waste that heat, however hopefully I will cover it In PV soon.

How hot does it get inside? I’ll be building an insulated steel garage/workshop. My concern is how hot it will get in the summer. 

I have a wooden garage with steel roof.

Mine is surprisingly cool inside, full sun most of the day.  So metal roof, breather fabric, sarking board on roof rafter, 100mm accoustic mineral wool between ceiling joists, 25mm PIR below, fully taped.  Walls similar, but without the 25mm PIR, just used silver bubble wrap.