LPG sign off

Jilly

Bear with me: (!)

Plumber 1 recommended LPG and a Worcester boiler. He installed it but didn't have the LPG cert, a friend, plumber 2, commissioned it. so far so good (although one can forsee problems of accountability already...)

After a month no certificate appeared so I called Worcester to see if it had been registered. I ended up registering it and hence inadvertently losing my 10 year guarantee for an 8 year one and also discovering that the installer didn't have a valid LPG certificate...

Meanwhile the regulator fails and plumber 1 replaces it.

After a week of thinking I have a dead badger in the hedge, I realise there is a gas leak and get an LPG registered person, plumber 4,  to check everything (turns out to be poorly connected cylinder). He is a college lecturer, seems to know his stuff and can't/won't commission it again for me. 

Back to plumbers 1 and 2. 2 is AWOL. Plumber 1 not very bothered, but puts me onto plumber 3 who is the father of plumber  2, they work together. 

Plumber 3, who is LPG registered,  eventually shows up, checks everything again and commissions the boiler again (but didn't leave another certificate). Promises to put everything right and call Worcester again and I will receive my paperwork. He seemed very nervous in hindsight. 

Wait for the certificate.

You guessed, no certificate, not registered with Gas safe as far as I can tell from the online website and Building Control have not received anything.

Plumber 3 is on holiday again, promising to put it right on his return.

What on earth am I to think?! I can see its all kinds of wrong and probably illegal. 

I just want the darned certificate! How can it be legally and correctly put right? I need to be armed with the correct facts...

Edited by Jilly

FFS. Stress texting going on now. Plumber 3 is out of the country til October and says he won't phone Gas safe til then! He is blaming plumber 1 for installing without certs. I agree it was stupid, but think plumber 2 should not have signed off without the certs. Plumber 3 doesn't want me to throw his son, plumber 2 under the bus, and wants me to throw plumber 1 under. 

Plumber 3 wants me to wait til October! That's ridiculous as it's making occupancy illegal.

It seems to me plumber 4 was correct no one else can sign this off??

Any one got any suggestions not involving buses on how to get my certificate? Can I just get someone else to do an LPG after cert or is the commissioning bit vital?

Edited by Jilly

There has to be a large ish m&e contractor about. Check the gas safe register for the qualifications prior to making contact

Explain clearly that you need a certificate and ask the cost.

pay contractor get certificate.

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

Contact an LPG certified plumber to come and do a Landlord inspection and issue you an appropriate safety certificate .. then give to BC… 

That is an excellent suggestion. I should have thought of that, since I have done it occasionally that way on the electric side.

Do you get LGC certified plumbers from the list on the regulator website, if such exists? Where would @Jilly find the register?

• Like 1

I don't think its that simple. Landlord safety cert is just that - a safety check on existing gas pipes and equipment.

The Building Regs require something very different for the install and commissioning of new kit, My understanding is the certificate is supplied by the GS engineer via Gas Safe and then Building Control (see gas safe website).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ADLIan said:

I don't think its that simple. Landlord safety cert is just that - a safety check on existing gas pipes and equipment.

The Building Regs require something very different for the install and commissioning of new kit, My understanding is the certificate is supplied by the GS engineer via Gas Safe and then Building Control (see gas safe website).

I had my simple LPG install connected and signed off by the local gas safe installer.  All I got was that rather pathetic looking Landlords Safety certificate.  Building control accepted it.

He seemed to do all the right checks, drop test, tested flame failure devices etc.

• Like 1

Have just spoken to BC, they haven't come across this before, there isn't a clear path to retrospective certification as Dr Google had told me, and as there is for electrical certification. Apparently the Landlord's Safety cert doesn't quite cut it either. Watch this space....

So Pro Dave, did you get a LSC because he didn't have a pad of commissioning certs?

24 minutes ago, Jilly said:

So Pro Dave, did you get a LSC because he didn't have a pad of commissioning certs?

I can't remember, that was just what he gave me, and BC accepted it.  I did think it strange as (in this instance) I am not a landlord.  It seems if you are selling a property and want the gas checked for the buyer, you still get a landlords certificate.  It is as if the "system" is not geared up (like the electrical regs are) for a proper general purpose test report.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Do you get LGC certified plumbers from the list on the regulator website, if such exists? Where would @Jilly find the register?

Yep on the GSR website just select LPG Domestic Boiler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jilly said:

Just spoken to BC and they have confirmed a Landlord's Safety Cert will do. Phew! 

At this point then, it's get it done PDPDPDQ before someone goes "Hmmmmm. We need advice" in your local Council.

F

• Thanks 1