6 bar pressure daytime to my house - do I need a PRV?

Question

I measured the water pressure to my house during the daytime and it was 6 bar.  I have read such a high pressure can damage appliances and cause leaks.

I am planning to get a PRV for my water softener. 

Should I also ensure that the PRV reduces the hard (cold) water pressure to my kitchen sink and dishwasher?  

8bar here. PRV fitted.

You do have to occasionally clean the mesh filter in the PRV.

I think too, MIs say to fit the PRV in a horizontal section of pipework. I didn't...as I didn't really read the manufacturer's instructions properly...

16 hours ago, Question said:

I measured the water pressure to my house during the daytime and it was 6 bar.  I have read such a high pressure can damage appliances and cause leaks.

I am planning to get a PRV for my water softener. 

Should I also ensure that the PRV reduces the hard (cold) water pressure to my kitchen sink and dishwasher?  

Lucky you!

I can see where you are coming from in that 6 bar is 90 PSI. 

3 bar ~45 PSI is a good bit of poke but you need flow "delivery" and it needs to be fairly stable.

If you have a direct cylinder the pressure relief valve is usually set at 3 bar as are say combie boilers.

I wonder what pipe diameter your incoming supply is. Old 3/4 inch or less.

If less than 3./4 inch ~ 22 mm) then I would increase the incoming pipe diameter for say 1.0m up to 22mm or more then fit a 22 mm PRV with a double check valve and mains stop cock.

The 1.0m before all the gubbins stabalises the flow. After that you can work out the in's and outs.

7 hours ago, Russdl said:

Interesting. Any idea why that would be?

Looking at my gauge I have to read it on the side. If it was horizontal I could read it the right way up is all I can think. 

• Thanks 1

I think most fittings are designed for 5.5 bar max.

We have several small PRV in out house to stop splashing from wash basins. I find they need to be cleaned or adjusted every few years to restore the original flow rate so make sure its accessible.

Wraps approved fittings are rated to 10 bar, but pressure fluctuates during the day, I did some work, a lot of work down in Worthing a while back. Close to 10 bar thanks to a new pumping station, the pressure was monstrous. Forever replacing valves, taps, toilet innards, many started to have prvs fitted but hated as some made a rattling sound. 

In short, excess pressure can cause premature wear, especially 1/4 turn ceramic taps.

Edited by CAdam
  • Like 1

I always fit a PRV now adays. Why do you need more than 3 bar in your home? 

The pressure changed when the water companies needed to supply more water down the mains pipes leading to new houses. Faster flow = more water per minute at the end.

And as @CAdam says more wear on parts with high pressure.

• Like 1