Mitsubishi Ecodan 11.2kW vs Vaillant aroTherm Plus 10kW vs with/without Mixergy tank

Hello all, we are considering quotes from our installers for the above ASHPs, with or without a 250l Mixergy tank. I am generally of the impression that the Vaillant pump is better, but it is about £1200 more than the Mitsubishi without the cost of building its own little platform and soakaway in the garden (which I have yet to get a quote for). Would be most grateful to hear people's views / experiences on:

- The relative merits of Mitsubishi Ecodan vs Vaillant aroTherm - which would you guys choose, taking account of the price differential?  

- I assume the mixergy would definitely be a good add on for the Ecodan, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it in combination with the aroTherm - any thoughts on this combo?

Thanks in advance. 

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

Have a careful read of this thread before deciding

Agreed. Prior to that thread I had only good things to say about our ecodan, but £100+ per year vampire load might make the premium of the Vaillant seem more reasonable 

I considered the Mixergy but eventually decided against it mostly because I didn't want yet another cloud dependency in my life. A standard well insulated tank (Oso geocoil) cost a lot less to buy, has very low heat losses, and Just Works.

In March last year I was faced with a similar choice. After a lot of research and analysis I wanted to go with the Vaillant Arotherm Plus (featuring the R290 Propane refrigerant) but could not find a suitable and safe place to put it anywhere around my house without breaching fire regulations. So in the end I went with the latest Mitsubishi Ecodan R32 single phase model. My electricity usage went up from 3,274kWh pa to 6,542kWh pa vs. an MCS heat loss calc of 16,213kWh implying a SCOP of well over 4. I was using around 21,000kWh of gas in the previous full year! So for me it has been an astonishing success story, but I have no reason to doubt that the Vaillant is capable of at least as good performance. As for the so called "vampire load" although initially I had a concern, after extensive monitoring my Ecodan R32 only consumes around 40-45W when idle so it's just not an issue for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhilT said:

In March last year I was faced with a similar choice. After a lot of research and analysis I wanted to go with the Vaillant Arotherm Plus (featuring the R290 Propane refrigerant) but could not find a suitable and safe place to put it anywhere around my house without breaching fire regulations. So in the end I went with the latest Mitsubishi Ecodan R32 single phase model. My electricity usage went up from 3,274kWh pa to 6,542kWh pa vs. an MCS heat loss calc of 16,213kWh implying a SCOP of well over 4. I was using around 21,000kWh of gas in the previous full year! So for me it has been an astonishing success story, but I have no reason to doubt that the Vaillant is capable of at least as good performance. As for the so called "vampire load" although initially I had a concern, after extensive monitoring my Ecodan R32 only consumes around 40-45W when idle so it's just not an issue for me.

Bang on the same gas usage as us, near enough...

1 hour ago, PhilT said:

without breaching fire regulations

Which regulations are those? Are those regulations related to the coolant, R290 (propane) only? Is there some form of minimum distance requirement?

(Am considering an AroTherm Plus ASHP for my build.)

2 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

Which regulations are those? Are those regulations related to the coolant, R290 (propane) only? Is there some form of minimum distance requirement?

(Am considering an AroTherm Plus ASHP for my build.)

Yes it's in the technical information (R290 clearances). My copy is from early last year - it may have been updated - worth checking for any changes

• Thanks 1

Not sure I'd bother with a mixenergy tank with a heat pump as they are optimised for direct electrical heating. I read they need an external heat exchanger with an ASHP?

I had a similar dilemma last summer Mitsu vs Daikin vs Vaillant. Went with the latter in the end, despite it being a little more expensive. Newer refrigerant , higher on-paper CoP and integrates with their smart TRVs. 

Very happy so far. Achieved a CoP of just under 4, despite running it mainly overnight (Octopus Gofaster tariff) when it's colder. 

The more I read about vaillant and their controls, the more I like them. If you’ve got a chance to go with vaillant, choose them. But make sure you get their sensocomfort controls and all their balance of system components too.