Shower with kerb

I am going to form a slightly raised shower area in the bathroom. 

I found a system by Schluter which is the membrane and waterproofing joints and tapes etc. 

Has anyone done this recently and can they give their advise and thoughts on it all, systems and products used please?

11 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

Following with interest as this is something we might need to do as our floor joist are so close together finding a shower tray with out to fit might be hard!!

At present I am thinking of using the Schluter system, they do a kerb, then I was going to do it the old fashioned way and use a dry pack mortar to make the base, then Schluter membrane and joint tapes etc. 

That is the plan for now, we will see how that pans out once others comment on options and experiences. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Have done a curb previously, which was basically a row of bricks, then screed inside to the required fall, then waterproof system on top and over the curb. 

I am on a suspended timber floor, but I did see someone simply use some wood... bricks would work well if I was on concrete. I think it would just need to be solid and without flex so the tiling doesn't crack.

Just now, Carrerahill said:

I am on a suspended timber floor, but I did see someone simply use some wood... bricks would work well if I was on concrete. I think it would just need to be solid and without flex so the tiling doesn't crack.

Xps high density foam, or get a sheet of marmot board and cut up, or buy the shulter curb. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Xps high density foam, or get a sheet of marmot board and cut up, or buy the shulter curb. 

I cannot actually find the kerb on sale anywhere - yet. I like the idea of cutting strips of the board.

Edited by Carrerahill

so I've watched some videos on the Schluter system using Kerdi board and shower tray and curb etc and it all looks pretty cool. but, I'm not sure that's exactly what I'm after. I don't really want a curb to step in to our shower rather I'd like a wet room type affair albeit I might need to step up in to the wet room area. so I was thinking of building a false floor about 100mm up from the existing floor and then putting some form of waterproofing system and preformed wet room shower tray on top of that which should give me space underneath to be able to route the waste pipe to between a joist!

I feel a lot of research coming my way as I've only just started thinking of this and the plumber is due to start first fix in a month so I need to get cracking! still following this subject with interest though as it's already sent me down a few research rabbit holes. 😉 

12 hours ago, Thorfun said:

so I've watched some videos on the Schluter system using Kerdi board and shower tray and curb etc and it all looks pretty cool. but, I'm not sure that's exactly what I'm after. I don't really want a curb to step in to our shower rather I'd like a wet room type affair albeit I might need to step up in to the wet room area. so I was thinking of building a false floor about 100mm up from the existing floor and then putting some form of waterproofing system and preformed wet room shower tray on top of that which should give me space underneath to be able to route the waste pipe to between a joist!

I feel a lot of research coming my way as I've only just started thinking of this and the plumber is due to start first fix in a month so I need to get cracking! still following this subject with interest though as it's already sent me down a few research rabbit holes. 😉 

If it’s a new build you shouldn’t need to raise it at all, there must be a way to get the waste out. 

41 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

If it’s a new build you shouldn’t need to raise it at all, there must be a way to get the waste out. 

so I 'should' be able to but we had our joists designed to a max deflection of 8mm and they have 300mm centres with the posis being 122mm wide. so they are very close together. the problem is that, with the fixed shower trays, trying to find one where the waste outlet fits directly above a space between the posi-joists. it's about 170mm gaps. 

image.thumb.png.168f640661c500d810f5a5cd07e8e889.png

but, reading up on the Schluter system it seems that I could get a preformed sloping tray and position the waste over a space between posi-joists and then fill in any gaps around the preformed tray with more kerdi board. I believe this will work but I need to do more research on the whole system and it's depths and sizes etc. I will also speak to the plumber about it all and get his take on it.

The Impey wet room shower former that I used has the waste offset in a central circular section that could be rotated, so as you rotated it, the off centre waste position changed.  You would be very unlucky indeed if you could not find a position with that where the waste did not line up with one of your gaps.  And if it was only slightly off, move the whole tray over slightly and fill in the gap.

https://www.impeyshowers.com/Wetroom-floor-formers/Aqua-Dec-EasyFit-Wetroom-Floor-Former/

impey-wetroom-aqua-dec-easyfit-floor-for

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

both great ideas and avenues for research @ProDave and @Russell griffiths.

and sorry @Carrerahill I seem to have inadvertently hijacked your thread! :$

I don't mind, we will all learn!

I just want to have all the stuff in stock so I can go in all guns blazing some Saturday and get it done pronto. 

To clarify my kerb requirement, I don't want a kerb as in step as such, what I want to create is a little raised bit - I think 50mm would work but that is more a trip hazard, so I think I must go 75mm to make it a big enough step not to be a trip hazard, I also want the raised space to create a services zone below, and I am slightly afraid of level showers in case of floods, I feel this will also enable me to create a floodzone that could take 20-30 litres in the event of a drainage issue.

Maybe I am just creating a potential disaster but I think plenty of people have walk-in showers on the first floor. 

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

I don't mind, we will all learn!

I just want to have all the stuff in stock so I can go in all guns blazing some Saturday and get it done pronto. 

To clarify my kerb requirement, I don't want a kerb as in step as such, what I want to create is a little raised bit - I think 50mm would work but that is more a trip hazard, so I think I must go 75mm to make it a big enough step not to be a trip hazard, I also want the raised space to create a services zone below, and I am slightly afraid of level showers in case of floods, I feel this will also enable me to create a floodzone that could take 20-30 litres in the event of a drainage issue.

Maybe I am just creating a potential disaster but I think plenty of people have walk-in showers on the first floor. 

I don't know if this is what you're after but I found this while looking for shower tray formers

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/orion-wetroom-shower-substrate

• Like 1