SIP panel Garden Room

I have done search both here and on a number of sites and can't find anything about making the above. I know a couple of chippies, neither of whom has a clue about SIP panels. The garden office will have external dimensions of 5.4m X 3.3m by 2.5m high. Any advice on SIP panel installation and ground screws would be very welcome? Anything I should read, any youtube videos I should watch, basically anything that will point me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

If you know a reliable tradesman/woman in East London/West Essex to do the job would also be most useful. I would like it to meet regs if possible.

I sounds like you're going to get someone to build this for you? If so, maybe the best approach would be to buy a ready made unit off the shelf.  However if you are self building, there are SIP companies that will manufacture the SIP panels to your requirements, mind you, to do this they would require a drawing.

Edited by Triassic
Typo

SIPs are maybe a bit under-represented on the forum. We've got lots of people on here who've chosen timber frame, brick and block, ICF, etc.

The advantages that people generally espouse for SIPs are speed of build and, if designed correctly, elimination of thermal bridges. The latter can be met with any decent build method. How important is speed to you? SIPs will need access for large vehicles to handle and lift the panels, whereas a stick build could be done anywhere that you can walk to.

I had a SIP garden shed (6m x 4m) built by two capable canadian builders. The panels came in a large shipping container but apart from that it was all walked around into the garden so no plant/cranes needed. I believe the largest were 10 foot long. It was a great success!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Triassic said:

I sounds like you're going to get someone to build this for you? If so, maybe the best approach would be to buy a ready made unit off the shelf.  However if you are self building, there are SIP companies that will manufacture the SIP panels to your requirements, mind you, to do this they would require a drawing.

Thanks for your input. Speed is important as I live in Vietnam and I am only back in the UK twice a year and only in London for a week each time. I have no access issues as it is an EOT lot. I can get the plans done up here for peanuts.  Can you or anyone recommend a company that would make the panels to size? I don't want to go for a premade shed as they want £16,000 for it. £16,000 seems a lot as the material costs can't be more than 1/3 of that. I know a couple of chippies as I used to be plumber/gas engineer and a Bulgarian labourer who is brilliant, so getting people who have some idea of what to do and the muscle is sorted. 

Edited by Crofter
formatting

5 hours ago, jfb said:

I had a SIP garden shed (6m x 4m) built by two capable canadian builders. The panels came in a large shipping container but apart from that it was all walked around into the garden so no plant/cranes needed. I believe the largest were 10 foot long. It was a great success!

Are you based in the UK?

3 hours ago, Triassic said:

I used this company a few years ago, the Scouts wanted a well insulated bunk room on one of their camp sites. The company provided the panels and volunteers put the kit together.  http://www.thesipcompany.com/self-build

How did the build go? Were there any problems, missing parts etc? The one that Dave posted on eBay looked really good but has zero feedback as a seller and only a mobile number so I am not keen to use him.

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

That is near Grantham, but the bloke basically provides a pile of SIPs and some timber, so you get a thing like a bus stop with insulation and a floor.

Could be cost eff give, depending on the ability of then the buyer to source the rest and build it.

Guessing that best coat will be 2-3x his price ignoring time. Which could be OK.

I still need an 8x12 detached utility, and it is close enough to go and have a look. Hmmm.

Their website is here: http://www.simplysips.co.uk/

The biggest issue for me would be appropriate doors (roller shutter might be an idea) and how to handle finishing the flat roof.

Edited by Ferdinand

9 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

That is near Grantham, but the bloke basically provides a pile of SIPs and some timber, so you get a thing like a bus stop with insulation and a floor.

Could be cost eff give, depending on the ability of then the buyer to source the rest and build it.

Guessing that best coat will be 2-3x his price ignoring time. Which could be OK.

I still need an 8x12 detached utility, and it is close enough to go and have a look. Hmmm.

Their website is here: http://www.simplysips.co.uk/

The biggest issue for me would be appropriate doors (roller shutter might be an idea) and how to handle finishing the flat roof.

I would really appreciate feedback if you use or go and see him. 

Best to get your drawings done first and then send it to a few SIPS companies. There's now one based in Kent also, so may get a good price with transport included. Likelihood is that there will be some iterations after you have chosen a SIP manufacturer. Many will also offer an install/erection service. The SIP company I used simply contracted out the installation team. SIP company I used were complete shite in the end, but the two installers were great (I can PM their details).

32 minutes ago, oranjeboom said:

Best to get your drawings done first and then send it to a few SIPS companies. There's now one based in Kent also, so may get a good price with transport included. Likelihood is that there will be some iterations after you have chosen a SIP manufacturer. Many will also offer an install/erection service. The SIP company I used simply contracted out the installation team. SIP company I used were complete shite in the end, but the two installers were great (I can PM their details).

PM me the Kent supplier details if you will please. Thanks.

13 hours ago, oranjeboom said:

Please PM me both the installers and the Kent company and the company that was shite as I want to make sure I don't use them.

Edited by mrfish