new windows just fitted but with issues...

New home

Lot’s of different factors come into play but weather, poor build, poor upkeep, incorrect use etc. all play a part. Whether off the shelve or the best of the best.

Edited by craig

Thank you all.

The whole thing is just unbelievable plus the replacement windows to be refitted (as there original ones they had installed had too many snagging issues so they decided to replace them after all) have not arrived yet... At first they said the replacement windows would be ready within 2 weeks, next it was 2 weeks or so, and it's already 2 months and they are still not here... I know someone mentioned there are delays in the industry but this is a bit too much I think. So stressful and frustrating...

About the delay - in fact now I recall the new doors were made, however I was told they were delivered to the wrong depo, and the company which installs the windows was never able to track them down so they ordered another set of doors and now were are waiting and waiting... plus the installers had other problems with the supply chain...  Again as someone said  on this forum there are delays in the industry, but really hard to believe that something like this is happening with all customers across the industry... Anyway, enough of ranting, hope today will bring some good news.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, this story is still going on… the fitters received the new doors (to replace the other “new” doors which had so many faults and were installed several weeks earlier), we set up a date and they came to fit them. On the day they removed the old ones. While doing so they damaged the side panels  (only one photo is attached but the other side panel is damaged in the similar was as well). Next, they took the old doors away. After some time, they came back with the info that the new doors they had in the car were damaged and could not use it– as they said there was some plastic wrap and as they removed it now, it appeared the new doors were not good to be fitted. They brought the old ones back and installed them again on the damaged panels. They said they would order the new doors. I can not understand… The previous windows, doors were also damaged, at that time they also said “this is how we got it”… How come they did not check those ones properly at once when they received them? Plus when they removed the glass from side windows, in one frame, at the bottom, there were brown stains in the corners– photo attached – as if the rain water was coming through (it was not raining properly yet otherwise I think the stains might have been bigger?). I asked them if it means that the seal was not working properly? Still have not receive any answer… I do not know how long they will have to wait for the new windows (originally, 2 months back, they said 2 weeks and it stretched to over 2 months, now we have to wait agian). Anyway I told them if they have them within next couple of weeks that is ok, later, when it gets cold I will not let them in as having all windows removed for a couple of hours will freeze the house and I do not want to bear extra electricity cost for this, it has already caused me so much stress, plus not sure how dump, colder weather might affect the installation, seals drying up etc?

DSC_2594.jpg

DSC_2592.JPG

Edited by New home
extra info and quesions

On 16/06/2022 at 10:25, gaz_moose said:

jeeze what kind of customer are you checking the trades work with a spirit level..

the grey things are just plastic packing spacers used to stop the glass units sitting in the bottom of the frame/ for heel and toe'ing the glass unit. space around the frame.

complain about the scratched handle and get them to just fit a new one. the rest is fine. 

What sort of attitude is that? Every customer should check trades work, the workmanship is clearly poor and the OP is right to question it. That is the sort of thing I would expect a disgruntled, careless, job price trade to come away with. 

So if I came to your house and put things up a bit squint you would not be upset?

If the grey spacers were taken out I would want to know why, and investigate it further as it may have been the installer bodging them in and creating some wriggle room by letting the frame flex to get something to fit. 

Scratched fittings and fixtures and squint installs are not OK. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ProDave said:

If the housing association paid for this and arranged it, they are the ones that should be chasing the contractor.  Complain to the HA.

Oh, they=HA know as they were here also during last installation and saw what happened... At the same time I think they just want to sign it off (on the day when the new doors are installed), as this project has been going on for a while. I told them I would prefer to sign it off straight away once the new doors are installed, but wait 24 or 48 hours to make sure everything (the glue, the seals etc) settles in correctly but I do not think they would agree. Again nor sure how dump, cold weather might affect the installation, plus the brown spots already visible inside the frame (as I see it the windows were not sealed properly?) -  I did point them out but they did not do anything different, extra, just put the glass and the same sealing tape/thin panels (the ones you put in the edges of the window) back (well they were all mixed up some from the right window, some from left - supposively they have the same dimensions...)

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

Complain to the HA.

In writing.

I have only one experience of dealing with an HA, on behalf of about half of the tenants. It was not encouraging.  Build quality and was very poor in several areas. To me the problems were obvious and had solutions but they didn't want to sort it or pursue consultants or contractors for some reason. Too cosy a relationship perhaps.

Your HA must be better by default.

On that basis, my advice is to persist and not to allow delays, even if you have to suffer some disruption, as getting anyone back becomes ever more difficult with time.

(The HA holds retention money which the contractor will want to receive, and won't until the whole contract is complete).

If the house will be open to the elements then they must accommodate you elsewhere for as long as it takes, and should also bung you some discount for disruption and extra heating.

• 2 weeks later...

The fitters came and fix the new doors on Tuesday, it seems almost ok. Two questions:  1st: there are "breaks"/space/cracks in between the white thing ( I will call it tape) around the glass in the corners, in a couple of places (as per the photo number 1), this is only on the inside (= so inside the house). The outside corners have been sealed. Are those "breaks" ok on the inside part of the window, or should they be sealed as well or can they be left like this? The 2nd: only today I have notices a scratch on the glass, it is very small - about 2.5cm, this is double glazed window so it is on the outer glass, but somehow inside, so you can not feel it, you can only see it. Is it ok?

DSC_2655.JPG

DSC_2657.JPG

It’s a glazing bead just poorly measured. More of a visual inconvenience than anything else. If need be, fill with white silicone and you’ll take the visual annoyance away (if they won’t fix). 

Glass, it’s a case of looking through the glass not at the glass. Is it visible from 3 metres away? If yes, ask for it to be replaced. If no, then ask but the answer is likely to be no.