Land not for sale

Vicki

Hi,

I have always wanted to complete a self-build.  My friend lives at the end of a road, with road behinds garden backing onto the side.  A few years ago the resident of the road behind applied for planning permission on some land he owned, which had previously owned a garage block. This land backs onto my friends house - the planning permission was rejected.  The land is not touched.  I have looked on the land registry - the property to which it belongs is a house converted into flats and the owner is the landlord - not resident, I don't think.  I have hand delivered a letter to him at the property but no response.  I feel like it is a long shot, but has anyone got any suggestions how I might enquire further.  Thanks in advance

It is hard to buy land that is not for sale.  But I managed it.  the plot we nowhave a house on was empty for years.  I by chance met the owner, and asked if he wanted to sell it and the answer was no.  Over the years I asked several times and the answer was still no.  Then I had resigned myself to buying a plot that was for sale but not in as nice position and further away, so out of courtesy I phoned him one more time and told him of my intention to buy this other plot.  His reply was "give me 24 hours" and he phone back next day to say I could buy it.

• Thanks 1

On 07/06/2022 at 19:55, CharlieKLP said:

What grounds was it rejected on?

Not sure how much money you have, but if you really love this land, you can always make an offer with conditions that might sweeten the deal? Is that what you were thinking.

It was rejected on the grounds that it was a two storey building, I was planning on a single storey - but the problem is not the money (at the moment) it's contacting the owner. 

So the land registry gives the owner's address as the block of flats, but he's not there? If it was me, then I'd get knocking and see if the tenants know any contact details or if there's an agent who would. It can sometimes be amazingly easy to track someone down on Google with just a name, or at least get a clue where to ask next.