VAT reclaim HMRC processing times

Has anyone got an idea what the current HMRC processing times are for VAT reclaims? Mine went to them mid Feb. I heard nothing for three months so decided to ring them. Good news is I got through quite quickly. Second good news is that they confirmed they had the claim safe and sound and gave me a reference number for the claim. Bad news is that they say they have got more claims than they had planned on, are short-staffed and could give me no idea when my claim would reach the top of the pile.  Has anyone recently been reimbursed? How long did it take? Were there any complications?

• 2 weeks later...

I rang them today actually (hadn't seen this topic), they gave me my reference number and the same spiel you got. They said that 4 weeks ago they were dealing with claims from the end of January, and so he said it was reasonable to think they were processing claims from end of February now. Mine is end March... not yet assigned. 

Yours might be now? Apparently as of 1 month ago the staff are all back in the office which he said should help significantly due to paperwork burden more efficient in office etc...

If anyone else has any insight would be welcomed... it's a long old wait!

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: On 24 June I received a letter from HMRC giving me formal acknowledgment of receipt of the claim (four months after it was submitted!!) and saying it should be processed within the next six weeks.

• 1 month later...
On 02/07/2022 at 22:57, Dominic said:

UPDATE: On 24 June I received a letter from HMRC giving me formal acknowledgment of receipt of the claim (four months after it was submitted!!) and saying it should be processed within the next six weeks.

Has this now been processed ?

I submitted mine a couple of weeks ago, so would be good to know if they keep to their word :)

• 1 month later...

I signed up to HMRC’s DIY Forum.  This is the section who deal with our VAT claims.  Some of the postings regarding the timescale for payments are pretty shocking.  HMRC admit to being months behind in dealing with DIY claimants.  Latest post, chap describes how he was so frustrated he went to his MP who then contacted the appropriate dept.  Payment was duly  paid out within days.  Quite impressed to hear of an MP doing something worthwhile!  However, that doesn’t help the rest of us stuck in what seems to be a very long queue.  

• Thanks 1

Sent ours on 15th June this year.

Had a text on 4th August to say "We've received your DIY claim, due to limited resources it may take us longer than usual to process your claim. Please don't contact us, we'll update you when your claim has been reviewed". 

Nothing since then. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Had a text on 4th August to say "We've received your DIY claim, due to limited resources it may take us longer than usual to process your claim. Please don't contact us, we'll update you when your claim has been reviewed". 

Nothing since then. 

If that works the same, I should be getting a text today 🤔 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

Nothing since then. 

Sent mine on 1st May and got the same text on 4th August so guess they sent a text to everyone on the 4th!

• Thanks 1

I have recently had to register a company for VAT and that was very efficient but both the VAT exception department and VAT cancellation are struggling to keep up with the workload the first being months behind schedule dates and later a month behind. I was told the mail room if full of scanning to get on the system, so although your individual invoices don’t get scanned I presume as all paper work get at least one digital before it’s off to the right department that’s part of the hold up. For some VAT departments you are able to see what post date they are currently working on and get an estimate of when your post date will reach the top of the pile.  If anybody phones up this would be a good question to ask to help out others of the forum. 

• 4 weeks later...

Rang Today.

They confirmed receipt on 17th August 2022.  They gave me my reference number. But then continued to say they were currently dealing with claims submitted in March and mine had been sent to secure offsite storage and has a recall time of 3 days.  Not quite sure why he had to tell me the last bit, but at least they have confirmed they have it.

Sent mine on on 15th September. As it got past the 6 weeks they still state it will take, I called them today, and the menu options say 'press 1 if you have got a claim reference number, 2 if you havent'. I haven't which is why I was calling just to check they received it (it was signed for on the 15th Sept). I pressed 2, being the honest chap that I am, and the message said 'We cannot help you (or words to that effect), goodbye'. It looks like they have even stopped providing claim reference numbers over the phone?  Judging by previous posts, looks like it will be at least 2023 before I even know if it is in their queue. Why on earth they can't automate a message to confirm receipt I dont know. A private company could never get away with such appalling service. And in the meantime will need to take out an extra £15k on my mortgage. At current interest rates, thats a chunk of cash which of course will not be re-imbursed.  Maybe a word with my MP will be the way to go as per @Jag. I will wait until a good few months have passed and give it a try. In the meantime I will take a look at the HMRC DIY forum, sounds like a barrell of laughs.

Edited by Oldsteel
punctuation